1 - FOR WANT OF PEACE

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐔𝐍 𝐒𝐀𝐍𝐊 𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐊𝐘 𝐀𝐂𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐀𝐍𝐈𝐄𝐃 𝐁𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐎𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐎 𝐎𝐅 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐒𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐒. As the crickets began chirping along with with first buzz of cicadas near street lights, the gradual decline of what light remained took its hint and followed suit, the first stars emerging in the dusky evening, sharp shadows of lanterns dancing in the streets of individuals hurrying home.

The air damp and the initial warmth of the day subsiding, the weather ebbed into a comforting breeze, the faintest light shining through the leaves, the early evening lull gracing the streets. Some pubs had shuttered their doors for the evening, but the most prominent remained open to the public, and in some streets remained the only visible life between dwindling shops as their owners mingled, several vendors chatting amongst themselves as they gathered their belongings after a busy day.

He sat on the balcony amid the welcome dimming amber glow, that time of slower thoughts arriving with its accompanying moments when with open eyes the mind becomes as a perfect empty horizon, seeing yet content to sit. The book in his hands threatened to fall to the ground, his grip loosening as he continued to gaze at the dwindling activity in the street below him, a stray thought occupying his mind.

A series of knocks startled him, although he quickly realized the rhythm and tone of the knocks and hastily called for the person to come in, instinctively adjusting his posture and closing the book without thinking.

Sometimes he envied commoners, for they seemed to be the only ones with true peace of mind.

Talil gave a warm smile as he caught sight of Pabu, longtime friend and respected herald, the former standing to greet the man, the latter shaking his head with a chuckle as he denied the handshake and instead moving for a hug.

"It has only been a few weeks, Pabu," Talil said with a laugh as he affectionately returned the hug, "You have had longer trips than this, don't you remember?"

"Of course I remember," the bearded man defended, releasing his hold and affectionately cuffing Talil on the shoulder, "Now, tell me everything I have missed, I am desperate for a little excitement, you know how Rael is, nothing could bring a smile on his face."

"I'm sure you've tried," Talil hummed, moving to sit back outside on the balcony, his book suddenly out of sight, out of mind, "Anyway, it isn't just the way you speak of Rael, he's a noble man."

Pabu sighed, choosing to sit beside the prince as opposed to defending himself right away, stretching his legs so they came to rest on the royal's lap, the latter rolling his eyes but saying nothing. "He may be noble, but it's difficult to follow under him when he doesn't want any humor while we're working," he whined.

"And you know me," the herald tried, seeing as how Talil's face still showed a look of judgement, the prince giving a smile a few moments later because he knew how his friend felt, he really did, and although he knew it was improper to disrespect a superior by talking in such a way he couldn't help but agree with Pabu—as the head of their sector, Rael really didn't have a sense of humor of any kind, especially while working.

"With that mouth of yours, I'm surprised Rael puts up with you at all," a voice drawled from the room, the sound carrying to the outside space.

Talil turned his head behind him to the voice of Beatrice Ceros, another friend and equally respected armorer, the woman leaning against her spear and wearing a tired smile, Pabu giving a roar of delight as he spotted his friend, rushing up from his seat to dashing over to give a tender hug, the woman chuckling in amusement as she returned the gesture.