Chapter 34

#TPOFOddlyEnough

A/N: Sorry for the grammatical errors and misspelled words. Thank you, enjoy reading!

-

"Mommy?" 

"Hmm?" napatingin ako sa anak kong bagong gising lang. I am actually driving at iilang minuto nalang ay makakarating na kami sa Lungsod ng Maynila. 

"I know you were hiding behind our backs last time. I heard your shoes." my son stated while yawning. Napalunok na lang ako sa kaba. "You heard everything, Ma, right? So...can I ask questions?"

"You're only six. You won't understand things yet Nate. Don't be stubborn." putol ko nalang sa konbersasyon. Even if I would explain it to him, hindi niya pa rin maiintindihan yun. Gugulo lang lalo ang isip niya. He needs to stay young and nourish his childhood than sulking himself in a problem that he shouldn't be involved. Hindi niya dapat pinoproblema ang mga ganito. 

"How can I protect you when I have no idea what is going on with you and Dad?" Nate reasoned out. "I know how much you hate Daddy, naririnig ko kayo ni Tita Lea kapag pinaguusapan niyo siya using codenames and whatever." 

"Just..." I sighed in disbelief. Oh God, how can I explain that I don't hate his father but instead I hate myself for...argh. "Just listen to Mommy this time, ha? I'm okay. You don't have to protect me from anyone or anything, I'm the one who have to do that to you. Kailangan kitang protektahan at pangalagaan." I replied.

"But who will take care of you? We only have each other." he murmured. 

Who will take care of me? 

No one. 

"Mama, I love you." at the end of the day, he will utter those words amidst our little fight about his father. Napangiti nalang ako nang marinig ko ang mga katagang iyon. I don't need a dick in my lifetime, si Nate lang at ako ay kaya ko nang mabuhay nang kaming dalawa lang. "...and I'm sorry. It's just that...I won't let anyone hurt you because you're a good person and you don't deserve that kind of treatment from anybody especially those who doesn't know you at all." 

"Thank you, anak. I love you too. Kaya wag ka nang makulit, okay? Trust me, what you know by now is enough. Don't dig deeper anymore." I instructed him. He just nodded and I smiled at him. 

Hinawi ko ang buhok niya bago ko tinuon ulit ang mata ko sa daan. I could see that we are now approaching the city since the traffic just sprouted up. Nate was just playing with his nails and frequently turning his head around to look at the people who's walking outside. Usad-pagong ang takbo ng trapiko and my thoughts were clouded too much, but when my phone rang everything rattled me up. Jusko, gulat na gulat ako dun ha. Nate was kind enough to get my bag at the back seat and took the phone for me. 

I slid the screen using my index finger to answer the call. The caller I.D didn't disappoint me because I was expecting this naman. Ni-loudspeaker ko ito at pinahawak ko kay Nate. "Hello, Lei?" 

"Regine! Thank god you picked up."

"Ha? Anong meron?" I started moving the car. "I'm going to work today right after I drop Nate at the condo anyway."

"I thought you were dead or something. It's been days since I called you."

"Nagiging OA ka na naman, ikaw kaya tong AWOL. Never disturbed you since I can see that you are pretty busy." I replied.

"Well anyway, you have to get back to work. Like, as in, right now." 

"Ano nga kasing nangyayari? I don't get it." I rambled.