When They Met - ORIGINAL PROSE

When they met, he was at a loss as to where he was supposed to go. Wherever he turned, each path, each direction seemed so unappealing, so disinteresting. There was nothing he felt he could put his heart and soul into and feel that the effort, the energy into caring would be worth it. Until he met her.

When they met, the stresses of everyday life seemed to be taking their toll on her health, her mind, her body, her whole being. She felt her job was so taxing, so all-consuming, that some days she felt there wasn't a single reason to climb her aching body out of bed. Until she met him.

When they met, they didn't click right away. She felt he was too closed-off, that they lived such opposite lives that there could be nothing redeeming about this strange person she had crossed paths with. He found her uptight, he thought she devoted too much time to the well-being of others to care about herself and he felt friendship would be too one-sided to bother with someone like her.

But, over time, they brought out the best in each other. He learned that silver linings do exist, she learned that life can be fulfilling for life's sake, but only if one makes it so.

They gave each other hope, they lifted each other up, they made each other happy, they were better people for their friendship.