Chapter 7

"Then who are you?" I ask coldly, letting another lie sink into my head.

A chill goes through the air of our home.
The lady in front of me opens her mouth, but then closes it. Unable to find an answer.

"Okay. If you can't answer that, then answer this. Why are you here?"

"Layla, I'm here for you," Her eyes glimmer a grey color.

"I don't understand.."

"You know me as Nana Taylor. but that is not my name. My true name is Shivi Azael, your guardian."

"You could've told me I was adopted or something. Instead of lying and saying your my grandmother! Liar!!" I yell.

"Please, child, I'm sorry.. I didn't want you to find out.."

"Well look where we are now. I was bound to find out at some point! Why couldn't you just have told me from the beginning! I can't even trust you anymore!"

"Enough!" Shivi takes me by the wrists and squeezes them tightly.

I try pulling away but her grip holds me down. I glare at her.

"Please, Layla, don't make me do something harmful, let me explain."

"Fine." I say roughly.

Shivi lets go of my wrists and turns back to the stack of photos.
She pulls out an image of a lady, smiling and happy. A white dress, golden colored hair and tainted angel wings.
"Your mother,"

I pull the photo out of Shivi's hand and run my eyes over it. I notice the freckles around her cheeks, her closed-squinted eyes, but then I see the wings.
White-large wings, but decaying at the ends.
I take a closer look at her face.
Tears. Tears fall down my mothers face in the picture.

"She's crying.."

"Lillith Gadreel, the hopeful fighter who smiles through everything, even the worst."

Tears fill my eyes. Seeing my mom for the first time pulls some kind of emotion inside me.

Shivi pulls out another photo, with a man on it.
"Your father,"

I take a look at the photo, noticing his many rings and chains around his fingers. I then notice tattooed symbols going up his very built arms.
He doesn't smile, he glares. My eyes catch his face features, noticing his bright red eyes, stark black hair coming down to above his ears.
My eyes move down to his left hand. He holds a big scythe-looking object with many symbols over it.

The tears I had felt in my eyes are gone and something inside me turns to hatred.

Shivi takes the photos back and sets them in the box with other photos.
I'm speechless. I don't know what to say, or to ask, for once.

"I saw the hatred in your eyes," Shivi begins. "You aren't the only one who feels that way about your father. Even an image of him, something about him, its like every thing he's around, he taints."

I nod slowly.

Shivi sets the box in front of me. "These are yours, if you want?"
I just stare at it, unsure if I should look through it or not.

"Shivi, what do you mean, you're my guardian? Where are you from?" I ask quietly.

"I am here to look after you, Layla. To make sure you are protected... and well cared for,"

I don't know how to feel. Shivi..grandma.. whoever this is, isn't the same anymore. My senses are telling me not to trust her.

"You didn't exactly answer my entire question."

"I was sent here, for you," Shivi starts.

"No, tell me the real reason."

Shivi hesitates. "I-I'm kinda like you, Layla,"

"Kinda?"

"I'm not a fallen angel,"

"Then?"

"I am from the depths of hell, I knew your mother, we were close friends, and she wanted me to take you. And when she fell, your father took her, while pregnant with you,"

"Who exactly is my father?"

Shivi sighs and stares at me sadly.
"Your father-," her voice changes to a whisper.
"Aser Nyx is one of the underworld gods. He works for and with Satan himself."

"Oh," I say unfazed.

Shivi looks back at me desperately. "Lillith was trapped. I had helped her give birth, she made me take you, I was not to escape hell, but she used the rest of her power, to get us to Earth safely," Shivi pauses.

"She died, for you, Layla."