Prologue

*Read as you listen to the soundtrack for best experience*

Friday 3.31 PM

"Mina, your dad called earlier. Don't forget to call him back," said Nayeon, the prettiest landlady Mina had ever seen for all the years she had been travelling the world.

"Yes unnie, thanks for letting me know," replied Mina as she rushed up the stairs to her room with her bag hanging over her shoulder.

It's been a rather uneventful day at uni but Mina was impatient for what was going to follow. She had planned to finally use her free time to explore her new city, Seoul, for the first time even though she had already spent a week here preparing for university, accommodations, legal formalities and whatnot.

She slides her bag into the corner of her still fairly untouched new room

She slides her bag into the corner of her still fairly untouched new room. It was a relatively spacious room for the price she got it for. So far she had only been able to sort out her wardrobe and her study supplies. The rest - well - let's just say she is in the process of tidying up. At least that's what Mina likes to tell herself and to Nayeon when she comes over to hang out. Mina drops into her bed reaching over the nightstand for her phone which she had left to charge.

8 missed calls?? I'm dead today.

She dials her dad's number, puts it on speaker and lays down her phone so she can prepare herself to receive the scolding she was expecting.

"How kind of you to have called back Miss Myoui," said the man on the line with a stern voice.

"Dad I'm so sor-"

"Are you okay?? Did something happen to my precious daughter? Where have you been? Do you think I don't worry about you? Or maybe my daughter has become a rebel. What am I to do now? I'll be sent to a retirement home soon."

"DAD! Please let me explain," she chuckles at her dad's amusing rambling.

Papa Myoui finally managed to settle down as his daughter reassured him that she had left her phone at home. Mina went on to have a relaxed conversation with her dad, catching him up on her day like she often does and her plans for the evening.
"Sana chan is accompanying me so you don't need to worry about boys and stuff," said Mina jokingly.
"Yeah yeah. I know how you two girls are. And I'm happy you're liking life in South Korea. But still-."
"But still what dad?" asks Mina as she hears her dad sound suddenly so troubled.
Papa Myoui takes a minute to contemplate how to phrase his concerns without scaring his daughter.
"I've heard stories Mina. Of monsters that roam in the dark."
"Rumours dad. I'm sure it's nothing," responded Mina.
"I know how ridiculous it sounds kiddo but understand that I am worried for my daughter's safety. Especially when she is so far from my reach."
Mina felt her heart sink at her dad's remark. She liked living here in Korea but she also missed being with her family.
"I love you, dad. Don't worry about me...too much. I'm a big girl now," she mumbled loud enough for Papa Myoui to hear her.
"I love you too kiddo. Take good care of yourself. Your mom will be so jealous when she knows you only talked to me haha."
"Yeah yeah dad - alright bye. I gotta go meet up with Sana soon. Tell mom I love her too. Byeeeeee." 

Mina pockets her phone, grabs her camera and her bag before she rushes back out of her room and down the set of stairs.
"Unnie I'm meeting up with a friend. Don't wait for me."
"A friend huh?" Nayeon questions with a mischievous smirk.
Mina pokes her head through the doorway and with her best poker face on retaliates; "It's not like that. Just my best friend. GIRL best friend."
Both girls burst into giggles as they wave each other goodbye.

Enjoyed Chapter 1?
Don't forget to vote