09 - For the love of a dragon, part 2

When they finally managed to open up the chains, the vikings got horrified to see the poor state of Joke's wrists. Tatters of bandages had increased the abrasions on an already scarred skin. Joke used his healing knowledge to take care of it.

They were a bit infected, causing his fever. When she saw the wounds, the white Fury pushed them all to lick at the boy's wrists, making him wince. The vikings panicked and stopped her, but it turned out to be as efficient as alcohol to clean the wounds.

With her researchs about dragons, Gothi had learnt that liquefied Zippleback gas had healing properties and could be used against fever. Joke also told them what he had learnt about Monstruous Nightmare spit. Did the Night Fury's slime also has healing properties ? That would explain why Toothless was licking Hiccup so often, surely the dragon knew about it and wanted to make sure his rider was healthy.

Five days of travel had separated them from their dear island of Berk, allowing the white-haired boy to heal and get back some energy. He was riding Toothless, just behind Hiccup, but it didn't stop him from admiring the white Fury who was still following them, swirling in a good mood.

She didn't have the slightest distrust anymore for the vikings, she was even chirping with the other dragons, mostly Toothless, Stormfly and Turnmoil.

The way back home helped them all evacuate the pression they had accumulated during the previous weeks, and enjoying Joke's return. The boy explained them how he had met the white Fury, how they managed to escape from the ship before getting caught again, and the riders got amazed at how she had tracked him to Rambert's fortress.

He didn't really speak about what he had endured there, he just told them he had never lost hope to see them coming. Then the topic became the white Fury. Hiccup said how he thought she was not exactly a Night Fury, Joke gave them details about her camouflage, and everyone agreed to say she was part of a relative specie to Night Furies, but not a Night Fury. After all, Toothless was black and couldn't hide like her.

Hiccup suggested to call her a Bright Fury, but the name Astrid found, a Light Fury, had more success. Joke laughed seeing them debating with such fervor, until the moment Hiccup caught his attention by puting his hand over his. Their eyes met above Hiccup's shoulder, and he smiled.

''If you want to keep her, you should give her a name.''

Seeing the hint Hiccup was making, refering to the time when he was trying to tame Toothless, Joke smiled. It was the exact same words he had told him back then. He tightened his grip around his viking's waist and rested his chin on his shoulder, a sily smile on his face.

''I think I'll call her Lumiverse.''

''That's pretty.'' Hiccup complimented.

* * *

Going back to Berk turned out to be eventful. The villagers welcomed back the riders and congratulated them for their successful rescue. Olgarg cried of joy, hugging her family whole again, then she cursed the men who had dared to take her precious son. The arrival of the new dragon didn't go unnoticed, earning Joke countless congrats.

They even threw a party to celebrate their chief's return, the success of the rescue and the new dragon rider, yet Joke and Hiccup didn't joined it. The riders were exausted by the travel, and the two boys wanted to be alone so they could enjoy each other's company, even if it was just for resting. At least, they would rest together, sleeping in the arms of the other, enjoying the other's presence.

After Gothi left, she had check if the wound of the boy had properly healed, they were finally alone with their dragons. Silence filled the Hofferson's house, the only sounds were the faint noises from the party, the crackling fire and the heavy breathing from the dragons.