Chapter 1: Enter the Angel

A year had passed since Ashlyn Reed said she would do something about the trouble that had plagued the city. She stuck to her plan despite Lexi's protests, spending most of her free time training. She had been learning self defence, hand to hand combat, weapons training, and so on. Tonight, she would do something.

"Ash, this is crazy." Lexi said as Ashlyn was getting ready.

"So you've been saying." Ashlyn replied. "I'm still going." She was now dressed in a sleek black bodysuit and black corset with her usual black boots. She was now putting on some black fingerless gloves and strapping black belts and holsters to her hips and thighs.

"Do you even know where you'd go?" Lexi asked.

"I have a general idea. I'll search there and stick to the shadows. Try not to get involved with anything I don't need to."

"You know those guys are pretty ruthless, though. You may have some skills, but it will be hardly anything against them."

"Maybe I'll get lucky. Besides, you sound like I'm going to be able to do all of this in one night."

"Ash, you'll be lucky to get anything in one night."

"Well, I'll start with the weaker ones. Work my way up. I don't care how long it takes me, as long as I can get it done."

"Or you'll get yourself killed trying."

"That is possible."

"Ash, I'm saying this as your friend. Don't do it."

"And I'm saying this as your friend. I'm doing it."

With that, Ashlyn walked over to the bathroom mirror and started raiding the makeup. Using black eyeliner and eyeshadow, she drew a design for her eye makeup with two swoops followed by a small spiral under both eyes. She then drew a small black heart between the bottom swoop and the spiral on her left eye. She finished her makeup with some black lipstick. Once that was set, she took a moment to admire herself. She looked edgy and dangerous, and she loved it. She was now the persona she called the Fallen Angel.

"Alright. I'm heading out. If anyone asks, you don't know I'm doing this." Ashlyn says.

"No promises on that." Lexi replies. "Just be careful out there."

"Don't worry. I will." Ashlyn says before leaving the apartment and disappearing into the night.

It was cold that night, and the rain wasn't much help, but Ashlyn wouldn't let that stop her. She quickly and quietly moved through the alleyways, doing her best to stay hidden and avoid unwanted trouble. She walked for what felt like hours, and wasn't finding anything or anyone. She was growing frustrated with her lack of progress and was about to start searching elsewhere when she heard something. It sounded like a fight.

Ashlyn carefully inched closer to observe while remaining hidden. She didn't want to get involved if the fight wasn't her concern. In the alley, she saw two males fighting. One of them, she didn't recognise. He was dressed in all black with white face paint and black eyes and lips. Although, something felt oddly familiar about him. The other male, she had seen before. She recognized the African American with dreadlocks and leather coat as Tin Tin, one of the guys that was part of the gang that thought they ran the city.

She watched as they fought until the one with the painted face pinned Tin Tin to a wall and started yelling at him. She couldn't hear what he was saying, but Tin Tin broke free by headbutting the man before beating him with a pipe, taking his coat off, and pulling out two knives. Ashlyn knew the man was screwed unless she stepped in, but she also knew how good Tin Tin was with his knives. Still, she took the risk.

"Excuse me, boys," She says, stepping out of her hiding place. "Is there a problem? Surely we can all talk this out."

The two immediately looked in her direction, surprised by her sudden appearance.

"Look, lady, I don't care who you are, but you better get lost." Tin Tin threatened.

"I'm terrified." Ashlyn says mockingly, "But, I don't think so."

Tin Tin laughed before throwing one of his knives at the other man, which he dodged with ease as hit hit the wood behind him. Another knife was thrown, which the man smacked out of the way.

"Try harder." The man taunted, "Try again!"

Tin Tin then threw a third knife in Ashlyn's direction, only for the other man to stop in front of her and catch it before throwing it back, hitting Tin Tin in the shoulder and pinning him to the wood behind him. Ashlyn picked up the other two knives as the other man approached Tin Tin and pulled out another knife.

"Victims." He said, "Aren't we all?" He then pinned him to the wood on the other shoulder.

Ashlyn then approached the two, one of the knives tucked in her belt and the other in hand.

"What are you two, together or something?" Tin Tin asked.

Ashlyn and the man gave each other a quick look, but neither of them answered before turning their attention back to their target.

"Tell me something, Hon." Ashlyn says, "Have you ever been kissed by a Fallen Angel?"

"Fuck you." Tin Tin answered.

The other man then went back to what he was doing, pinning more knives into him as he asked about some girl and a ring that was sold. Once he got his information, he killed the knife wielder and left him on the ground.

"So who are you?" He asks Ashlyn, "What are you doing out here?"

"I could ask you the same thing." She replies, "And you can call me Angel. What about you? Something tells me you're a man on a mission."

"Something like that." He replies.

"Well, it seems like we may be after the same targets. Why don't you and I team up and take them out together?"

The man was silent as he thought about her offer. "What's in it for you?" He asked.

"A city free of these assholes." Ashlyn replied. " You want to take these guys down? So do I. Now, are we a team or what?"

"Fine." He replies before going to draw a large symbol of a bird on the wall in blood. Ashlyn did the same, but she drew her broken halo next to it.

The man then took Tin Tin's coat and put it on before leaving, Ashlyn following him. As they walked, a black crow landed on the man's shoulder.