chapter three / the old switcheroo - part 1

Author's Note: Published on January 27, 2020. Updates will be posted twice or thrice a month. Anddd with this chapter, we've reached our update quota for January 🥳 Also, this is over 5k words, I had to cut it in half again, it's quickly becoming a pattern haha. Anyway, I've recently discovered chapter dividers in image form—I'm so fascinated!!! You guys will definitely be seeing a lot of it, plus me editing it into previous parts when appropriate, haha! Thank you so much for all your support so far 💜 Bangtanmoo nation, rise!!!

*

Moonbyul tugs at the hem of her dress self-consciously as she looks at herself in the mirror. She thought she had already come to terms with it earlier, but now that she's actually wearing the thing, it's a different story. The list of things she's forgetting about seemed to be getting longer as the day wore on.

When Moonbyul returned to her room to replace the skirt she picked up by mistake, she almost couldn't believe that she couldn't find a single one of her jeans or joggers even after shaking all the hangers and cabinets down. Last night, she already guessed that Hyejin took her clothes so she would be forced to consider her input on what to wear. However, Moonbyul greatly underestimated the extent of it. Hyejin's meddling last night had left her with no choice but to wear a dress.

It was just her luck everything else she had was in the wash. She regrets putting off her laundry for as long as she did; she doesn't even remember running it, let alone loading it with clothes. She's tried her members' rooms too, but she found them all locked, to no one's surprise. She wasn't really expecting much since everybody was out today. It would have been stranger to find their doors left open.

And so, Moonbyul had to choose between a dress or the short skirt she just returned. Honestly, she doesn't even remember why these things were still in her closet. She thought she already cleared out everything they've managed to convince her to wear when they were rookies, but wouldn't dare touch now. Moonbyul thought the choice had been made pretty clear the moment she opened her closet.

It was almost scary how much Hyejin knows her, and how much it seems like she's accounted for everything. Moonbyul didn't care too much about being criticized for her fashion preference and always just went with what she's most comfortable with over style. As it is, Moonbyul willingly picking out something other than her training clothes was a very rare occasion. If any of her old friends saw her, they'll definitely tease her about the hypothetical guy who finally managed to snatch up her heart.

She turns around once more and looks over her shoulder to see how everything looks from the back. She feels more than a little overdressed and can't help but imagine Jin making fun of her for it. Moonbyul shrugs at her reflection, telling herself that there isn't anything more she could do about it. At least the dress wasn't too revealing, so it wasn't too bad. She'll definitely need a coat to put over it though, both for the cold and for her peace of mind.

Moonbyul reaches for her coat on the rack and shrugs it on while facing the mirror. She's loathe to admit it, but she knows somehow that she's nervous. If she was only a little more honest with herself, perhaps she could admit that her nervousness about today being actually a date is the reason why she's so eager to pin the whole thing as an elaborate scheme.

She gathers her hair up to tie it into a loose ponytail and nods at her reflection in satisfaction. Less than a minute later, her phone buzzes from her knapsack and she promptly walks over to fish it out of her bag.

3:05 PM

Kim Seokjin

Hey, Manager-nim's right outside :)

Moon Byul-yi

Got it!

Don't forget my blanket