Chapter Two

Disclaimer: The following chapter briefly includes a graphic scene that may be triggering to some. If you are uncomfortable with this, please read the censored version in the next file.

***

We waited well into the night and did not receive a visit from Admiral Son's servant. I never felt more relieved. Mother kept her distance from me the next morning, going off to the market alone. When she left, I dove into the forest behind my home. The smell of greenery filled my lungs and branches broke under my feet. I made sure to lift my hanbok, so it wouldn't get torn or stained. One time I almost got caught when I came home with a rip. Luckily, Mother bought the story that it got caught on something when I was collecting the clothes from outside.

There was a time when I was terrified of the forest. Father told me there were wolves looking to eat me. I've learned since then that it is not a place to fear, but one to seek. Here one could find true solace - to be themselves without any judging eyes. I took a handful of blue ribbons with me to mark my trail. My comfort with the forest allowed me to travel deeper. I eventually found a little patch where only grass grew that served as a nice place to relax.

I laid on my back and stared up into the light blue sky. The sun shined from behind the wispy clouds. Other than the occasional chirps and soft rustle of leaves, the forest was quiet. It was so peaceful my eyelids began to close. Before I could get any rest, I sensed something near me. Then, there was the faint noise of something being fiddled with next to me. When I opened my eyes, I found a little boy searching through my basket of ribbons. We locked eyes for a moment. His were a deep green that in the light sparkled with gold. Something about his eyes felt familiar. For a second his eyes flashed a bright emerald green before fading back to its original color. It was him, the one in the forest two nights before.

"W-who are you?" I asked.

He looked to be no older than twelve. His dark hair was wild, and he wore a green tunic with matching short trousers. A gold sash tied around his waist hung behind him like a tail. He also had gold bangles around his wrists and ankles. He was barefoot, the soles of his feet black like coal.

"Are you lost?" I reached my hand out to him.

He did not reply and ran deeper into the forest with a ribbon in hand.

"Wait," I called out. It was time for me to run. I hiked up my hanbok and chased after him, passing by the numerous trees and shrubs. The thick grass brushed against my legs and pollen tickled my nose. A pair of swallowtail butterflies joined the pursuit, their yellow and black wings flapping beside me. I sped past them and called out to the boy. "I just want to talk!"

The boy did not let up and before I knew it, I was at the bottom of a rock cliff. Looking up I could see large jagged rocks stacked on top of each other. He took hold of the vines that hung down it and climbed. When he got to the top, he looked back at me for a second and disappeared to the other side.

His look challenged me. It was as if he said, "You don't have the guts to go where I'm going."

Such challenge would be exciting, but foolish. There was no telling what awaited me up there and Mother was sure to be back soon. The once blue sky was painted orange and the dark clouds rolled by. I took one last look at the cliff and ran home.

~~~

I tidied myself and made sure no traces of the forest were left behind. Thunder roared among the cloudy sky. Droplets of water fell on my head as I rushed to gather the clothes that were out to dry.

"Hae Ri!" Mother called.

I braced for the scolding she was about to give me, but to my surprise she was smiling. It was the first time in a long time that I saw her genuinely happy. Something about this scared me.