Chapter Seven

Hae Ri

I mostly stayed inside the shed, only coming out for food or water. Whenever I saw Areum or Min Woo I turned away. I felt bad about doing so, but I couldn't have that discussion with them again. My time was now spent counting the drops that fell from the leaky roof, picking at the loose boards of the floor and sleeping. It was already day four of my seven day deadline.

What was there to prove anyway? I'm not who she says I am.

I thought about the possibility of going back home - back to a life where my purpose was to marry, back to mother... and him. I laid on my back and stared at the ceiling.

My life just couldn't be easy like everyone else's.

Someone gently knocked on my door. I sighed and said, "come in." The sun streamed onto my face, forcing me to look at my visitor.

It was Areum. Her hair was different today, she had the little ponytail at the top of her head. It was off-center, which made it even cuter. I didn't want to admit it, but I was glad to see her at my door. I thought she would hate me for avoiding her.

She looked everywhere but at me. "A-are you okay?"

I didn't know what it meant to truly "be okay" anymore, so I gave her the answer she wanted to hear. "I'm okay."

She stepped inside but kept her distance from me. "I'm sorry for you know," she said dusting off one of the shelves. "I hope you're not mad at me."

The situation had angered me, not her. "No need to apologize. Its not your fault, and I'm not mad at you."

She breathed a sigh of relief. "Good. It's stuffy in here huh?"

I figured some fresh air would do me good. Areum took the lead as we walked around Juran. Some stared at me of course, but I was used to it. We passed by Min Woo practicing his form on a dummy made out of sticks and hay. With his wooden staff, he made a horizontal strike sending the dummy's pumpkin head flying.

"Minnie! Cool moves," Areum said cartwheeling over to him.

"Thanks. Oh, Hae Ri good to see you. Are you uh-" he began to say.

"It's okay. Forget about it," I interrupted.

He nodded. "Hey, watch this." He then took a step back and made a vertical strike.

We gave him a round of applause. I always enjoyed watching others fight. When I was younger, I used to watch the village boys play wrestle and sword fight. Mother eventually caught me and snatched me away by the ear.

"We're going to The Hill. Want to come?" Areum asked.

"All the way up there? No thanks," he dismissed.

She rolled her eyes. "Ugh, of course you wouldn't, Lazy,"

"We're going up a hill?" I asked unimpressed by the idea.

"Not just any hill. Come on, I'll show you," she said.

We started to head north when we ran into Chief Jang. My guess was that he was coming back from practice, for he was dressed in casual clothes and had an axe fastened to his hip. The few hairs that were out of his ponytail stuck to his forehead. It was like the sun had disappeared the moment he stood in front of us.

"I trust you two are staying out of trouble," he said with arms crossed. His deep voice sent fear into my soul.

I nodded, afraid to speak.

Areum on the other hand, was bold, patting his arm. "Father, you don't have to worry." She smiled and guided me away. "Hurry," she said to me under her breath.