Chapter 11

"The lens of fear magnifies the size of uncertainty." Charles R. Swindoll

Air was sucked in and expelled from inflated metallic cushions nestled within the undercarriage of the vehicle as if it was breathing. One of the security detail opened the door and gently nudged my shoulder. The vacant interior sparked a small flame of hope inside of me that they might leave me in peace to make this journey alone. Three faces appeared in the threshold of the door, dousing the flame before it had a chance to create heat. Denovo and Blue slid onto the seat on the opposite side of the vehicle, while Dovie took the spot seat next to me. Trapped, I couldn't help feeling as if I'd escaped one sacrificial blade only to have another pressed to my neck.

The craft lifted, hovered for a moment, then shot upwards with a shrill shriek. Chill air filled the cabin. Our upwards momentum stalled as we pierced a bank of clouds, hovering for a moment before proceeding on a lateral trajectory.

I could feel Denovo's gaze crawling over my skin, but I refused to meet his eyes.

"Piradium is below us," Dovie said, after a period of silence. "The building at the center is the Ministry." She nudged her chin at the window. From this elevation, the inspiration for the name was evident. Layers of circles divided the streets, which radiated like spokes from a black monolith at the center. It brought to mind a bullseye target, or hours spent in math class studying the concepts of pi and radius.

Denovo began to whistle as we made our descent. The tune triggered a memory, bringing to mind Saturday mornings spent on the farm with Grandma and Grandpa. "Casper the friendly ghost. The friendliest ghost you know," Denovo began to sing. Blue simpered apologetically, although there was a gleam in his eyes that made me think he found the whole situation hilarious.

Guards in gray uniforms quickly opened the doors, moments after we touched down, and removed Denovo. "Grown-ups don't understand why children all love him the most," he continued to sing as I burned holes through his back with my eyes.

Minister Dovie guided me past the central hub of the Ministry—a cylindrical shaped building with a domed roof like a grain silo, and rectangular sections positioned like points of a compass around the circular portion. We were followed down the corridor of one of the compass points by the sound of Dovie's shoes clicking on the black marble. Light from the crystal chandeliers sparkled against the inky walls. The only thing comforting about an empty hallway was knowing I wouldn't be forced to take a walk of shame. It would be nice to see one friendly face, even if it meant seeing a dozen unfriendly ones, especially if they'd pass a message to Gem. I didn't want to vanish, like Casper.

"You are a guest of the Ministry, not a prisoner. This is your room, not a cell. The woman that will be staying with you is your companion, not a guard," Dovie rattled off as we walked. It might have been better if she just threw me in the room, slammed the door in my face and kept her reassurances to herself. I couldn't believe a word that came out of her mouth. At least she left quickly.

Things could have been worse. Having a visible door already put this room a step above the one where Denovo had kept me, or the places where the Penitents had placed their detainees. The bed beat the cot Denovo had furnished my cage with, even after taking into account the fact that it was only a twin.

If it wasn't for the presence of the stern-looking woman serving as my companion, I might have been impressed with how comfortable the room appeared to be. She refused to provide me with her proper name, only compromising enough to allow me to call her Combi as a nickname for Companion B.

Her insistence upon this detachment gave me an unexpected glimmer hope. If she was instructing me to call her Companion B, it stood to reason that there also was a Companion A.