Chapter Sixteen ~ Melinö (1/2)

Taehyung knew leaving the castle grounds wasn't exactly the smartest idea, especially considering the darkness Serenity spoke of was on the horizon but watching the expedition party leave earlier that day had left him with that all too familiar ache in his chest. All these years Taehyung figured that ache in his chest was longing....longing to be something more, to pass through the gateway and explore the mortal realm. Yet now he knew different, all these years his reason for not feeling complete was because there was a vital part of his soul missing.

His Enda.

Taehyung knew he should take heed of Serenity's warning, that he should wait for the right moment to connect with his Enda but there was another way. It was reckless, if anyone knew of his plans they would insist he reconsider but the longer he was away from that vital missing part of his soul the more his body would weaken.....would fail him.

Taehyung dressed in his riding attire later that afternoon, making sure to avoid detection as he made his way to the stables.His journey would take him through Arden forest and across Tethoris bridge to Khisfire Town, a place filled with those who didn't do well when it came to following the rules. The moment he was on horseback, galloping out across the moors Taehyung breathed a sigh of relief. The thundering of hooves split the silence as his stallion galloped through the landscape, wind wisping the mane into the air like flames. The muscles rippled from under a freshly groomed pelt as powerful legs propelled them forward.

As the light slowly drains away there is barely enough even for shadows. Whether Taehyung likes it or not the darkness comes and under it everything in the forest is hidden. Even the stars and moon cower behind a dense layer of cloud, giving the air that tincture he associates with the world before a storm. Taehyung's ears become sharper, Arden Forest is home to many beautiful creatures but of course with the good comes the bad and so he needs to be alert. Taehyung rides for almost twenty minutes, the moonlight now casting a hauntingly beautiful white-silver glow over the approaching town, in the distance the rooftops and spires are silhouetted against a deep velvety sky.

He slows, sharp eyes looking out across the bridge.

The creatures that control Khisfire wouldn't be too happy to see a member of the royal family enter their domain and so he lifts his hood, allowing the dark material to cover the majority of his Elven features

Khisfire is ruled by criminals, mostly Fae but some dwarfs and giants have been known to cross the borders. They don't take kindly to Elves, especially since it was his father who banished them to Khisfire in the first place. So Taehyung approaches carefully, staying alert as he crosses the bridge.

Khisfire is a maze of narrow winding streets, as complex as the heart. The streets are the veins, paved with dark red stones, and the people are the blood. The sound of the smiths, beating swords and breastplates into shape, was the consistent and dull pounding that let you know the town was alive.