Chapter Thirty Seven

Once we left the living room and entered the hallway, as we were about to turn to the stairs when the lights went off all of a sudden, turning the small area into a dark abyss. We stopped instinctively, frozen, then it started to flicker, we looked around quickly under the flashing light and waited with bated breath whilst standing in direct contact against the draught blowing from the front entrance along with a somewhat hissing sound in contrast to the silence, transformed my once familiar small hallway into a strange realm. The chilliness heightened the sense of danger, causing the unsettling in the close vicinity. After a moment passed and the lights returned to normal, Eric motioned me to head first.

However, as I reached to the middle of the stairs, I felt rather than saw something was in line of my direction, I slowed down, curse silently under my breath and closed my eyes for a second, then lifted one foot to take another step hesitatingly, almost immediately, I felt as though I walked straight into a different zone, the fleeting moment of extreme iciness engulfed me and attacked my every single pore, causing me to shudder uncontrollably, resulted in me losing my grip, spilling the drinks and was on the verge of dropping them when at the same time, I heard Eric gave out a yelp and the sound of him tumbling down the stairs was heard behind.

Shocked, I turned to look but in my haste and inability to regain flexes I slipped, resulted in the drinks flew out of my hand, barely missed Eric's head and landed on the floor with a loud crash, shattering the cups followed by Derek's voice from the top and the sound of him rushing down.

"You guys okay?" He asked the moment he reached us, concerned.

"Yeah, I'm okay, just a scratch nothing more. But I didn't slip, I was pushed down the stairs by a force. " Eric replied, grimaced.

"I thought as much because I felt it went right through me." I said.

"Are you saying something attacked you both?" Derek asked, alarmed. We nodded our heads in confirmation, then he opened his mouth again, "Then let's get the hell out of here."

"But it wasn't serious and besides, there's only few hours left till morning." Eric looked between the two of us and suggested.

"I think we shouldn't make it too big a deal too. What more could it do?" I agreed.

"It's your house and your choice, I'm fine whichever you guys choose to do." Derek shrugged his shoulders.

Then I went into the cloakroom to grab a piece of towel to clean the floor while the guys put the debris aside, and together, we went back up silently with my trembling feet, all the while thinking what a huge mistake I made of overestimated myself and taking the risk and stayed, dragging the men. Still, there was this nagging feeling I had, egging me on.

For the next few hours I lounged around in their room until eventually I got tired and they insisted I use the bed to rest with them take turns to keep guard. As I was laying on the bed on verge of drifting off, I vaguely saw this smoke hovering outside the room, but by that time, I was too tired to care and closed my eyes.

***

I was walking along a corridor, in a somewhat old-fashion house that seemed deserted. I called out but no one answered, so I carried on walking whilst looking at the paintings hanging on either side of the wall until I noticed a door which left ajar. Curious, I pushed it open to revealed a room that looked to be the master bedroom, inside, there was a man standing by the fireplace who turned the moment he sensed me.