Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

By the time we finished our drinks and the discussion, we were both exhausted. Derek and I came up with the conclusion that maybe the man he saw, was the same man the girl - Viviane mentioned, who also had been controlling her. But that lead us to more questions: were they in anyway, connected with Martha's friend's family? Why couldn't I take it off by force? What were the consequences? Is it really a portal like Derek thinks? What triggered it to activate and how often? And why? It seemed every time it happened, it always ended abruptly as if there was a timing frame? Most importantly, when I told Martha about it, she seemed genuine enough to convince me she was completely ignorant of it. So why me?

We decided to take the risk to observe how frequent the activities occurred. Derek and I would take turns to sleep while the other kept watch from a distance. Due to the fact he'd been on a business trip only recently, I insisted he have his rest first.

For the next hour, I sat on a chair near the door that was left ajar. Despite having a book in hand, my mind was reeling with who, what, why and how, but remained vigilant. Ever so often, my eyes would turned outside at the landing. That's when I noticed movement of the head.

I stood up quietly and tiptoed to lean against the wall next to the door. Without taking the risk of being seen, I slowly moved and peeked at it. Under the dimly lit light, I saw the girl - Viviane's face was one of her normal expressions. From the one and only experience, I felt that could be an indication of her ability to communicate. Out of sheer desperation to find some answers, I made an impulsive decision to seize the moment, and stepped out onto the landing, gaining her attention immediately.

I looked at her blank eyes for a moment from a distance to make sure it was safe enough to carry on my mission without getting too close to it.

"Hello. Is Viviane, right?."

"Yes." She blinked her eyes and answered in her sweet, soft voice.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked her bluntly.

She nodded her head.

"What exactly is the mirror and what is hiding inside?" I looked at her intensely, if anyone can help me, she would be the one.