3

I jumped in the lift and clicked the button over and over.
Come on come on.
By the time I reached the fourth floor she was already there, leaning against the railing and smirking at me.
"Guess you'll never know my name now." She rolled her eyes and smiled.
"It wasn't fair," I muttered, "you set off running before I even got into the lift!"
"Life's not fair." She laughed and I felt myself begin to smile.

We walked down the corridor to my flat in silence. But it didn't feel awkward, it was nice.
"This is me." I pointed at the white wooden door quickly, fumbling with my keys in my hand.

"Why did you move Brad?" She blurted out suddenly.
I looked down and sighed, "My mum got a job here so I go wherever she goes. I've been here 3 months now and I don't think I've said more than 10 words to anyone."

"Except me obviously."
"Well yeah.." I scratched the back of my head slowly, "but you have done most of the talking."

"You need to lighten up Brad, from the sounds of it you're here for the long run." She laughed and shifted her school books into her left hand, "See you tomorrow?"

"Yeah okay." I looked down again and felt my cheeks burning. "What time?"
"8? That's when I usually set off to school. I can come down and knock for you." And with that she smiled and skipped off down the corridor.

I watched her go, her hair bouncing with every step.
She looked back and waved before stepping into the elevator.
I let out a deep breath and lent against the door, trying to contemplate what just happened.
Maybe the move wasn't so bad after all.

Suddenly I felt the door give way and I fell onto the floor with a massive thud.
"Owwwwwww" I wriggled in pain.

"Oh sorry darling, I heard voices and I assumed you'd forgot your key..." my mum spluttered trying not to laugh in my face.

She looked down at me and smiled, I knew she'd of been spying on me, the nosey little..

So..... who's the girl?"

••••••

"I don't know Mum," I sighed pouring boiling water into a mug and stirring gently.

"You don't know her name?" My mum looked at me bemused tilting her head slowly.

"No I don't know her name, I don't know anything except she lives on the floor above us. Nothing, absolutely nothing else."
I handed her the coffee and sat down on the sofa opposite resting my head on my hands.

"That's odd.."

"I know it's odd Mum but I didn't win the race so she wouldn't tell me her name, it's all very weird but that's the truth I swear!" I was getting more frustrated the more questions she asked.

I don't even know what happened myself, how am I supposed to explain it to my nosey mother.

"Have you spoken to Scarlet recently?"

I felt a pang in my stomach and my heart began to drum loudly inside my chest.
"Err yeah last week."

That was a lie. A big fat lie, I hadn't spoke to Scar in probably over a month. But I know my mum would question me even more and I can't deal with feeling worse than I already do.

"Aw good, I always did love you two together, a perfect pair.. real friends... I.."

"Why did you move me then." I cut her off and she shot her head round in shock.

She got up quickly , "You know some things are not a choice Bradley" she said quietly before walking upstairs.

I grabbed my phone from the side and lay down on my back on the sofa. I began searching for people at school hoping I'd see a picture of the mysterious girl and I'd finally find out her name. 20 profiles deep and still .. nothing.

Ughhhh it was killing me not knowing.

It's not even a big thing. A name. But it's the fact she holds the power, that's what winds me up.

I got up in a huff and shuffled towards the stairs.
I know my mums upset with me but I'm still annoyed at her too and I'd rather just stay out of her way for now.

*knock knock*

My eyes darted just as something slid under the door.

What the..?

I ran over to the front door and opened it quickly, I stepped out into the corridor and looked around.

Nobody. Nothing.

I stepped back inside and bent down to pick up the note.

A blank piece of paper? Really?

I was about to scrunch it up and chuck it when I saw the glimmer of sharpie on the back.

I turned it over puzzled. It only had one word on it, in big black capitals.

'RAY'

••••••