Chapter Two

When I opened my eyes again, I almost got a heart attack from how close Claire's face was. She seemed worried. Could it be because I looked sick from practising the magic circulation? Before I could even open my mouth to ease her worries, she had already left and yelled to my parents, "Master, madam! Miss Haruka is awake!". Jeez, how worried were they even?

The first one to come inside my room was my mother. She hurried to my crib and picked me up. I made a confused face at her and asked, "What's wrong mommy?" She sighed and ruffled my hair. "We were worried, sweety. You looked sick with all that sweat and your pale face. We even got the town's doctor to come, but he said there's nothing wrong except for overextension. Which doesn't make sense for a child who should be sleeping, no?" She looked sternly at me as she subtly asked me what I did. Shit. What should I say?! I mean, I don't want to make them worried as they are so nice to me and such. But... will they believe me?

As I watched her expression and wondered what to say, my father also arrived. He didn't say anything, but he seemed anxious. Maybe even more than mother and Claire. Argh, whatever! I'll just tell them everything! Even... even if they become disgusted. No, they probably won't be... right?

As I had made up my mind, I made a serious face and looked at mother and then at father. "I..." They stayed silent and waited for what I had to say. "Mom, dad. I am... I'm not really Haruka..." Unconsciously, my voice became softer at the end. It was probably because I was scared they'd think I was crazy. Or they would want to push me away because I took their daughter's life in some way. But I still told them. Because I believed in them not being like that.

"You... what do you mean by that sweetie? Could you please explain?" Mother's words pulled me out of my worried mind. After taking a deep breath, I started to tell my story. Without noticing, mother had brought me already to the living room and put me on her lap while she sat on the couch. Father sat next to mother and me and Claire sat in a chair in front of us.

"When... when I was born here, I have already lived a life and didn't lose my memories." I paused for some time to let it sink in, but they all just nodded at me to tell everything first. That reassured me a lot. "I lived in another world, without magic. But there was way more technology. There were cars, trains and planes. Homes were lighted with electric lights. People messaged each other in instants all over the world. That was the kind of world I lived in. I was a college student, which is like the students of an academy. My life was kind of boring, but I was happy. I had my friends and family who I cared for. But... when I went home one day, I saw a small turtle on the road. I thought it would die from a car and I saved it."

"I... I died... And it apparently was useless. Because the turtle became a god and he granted me a wish and I wished for reincarnation in the world of a game which was apparently a world on its own and the god of this world made me vow on some rules before sending me to be born like this." At the ending, my words almost tumbled over each other as I had started to speak faster.

It became silent for what seemed to be a long time before mother nodded and asked, "Can you please first explain what's a car?" Thankfully she happened to be such a calming mother and asked everything she wanted to know one at a time. I answer, "A car is a metallic vehicle like a carriage without horses, it can drive thanks to the burning of fuel or something. But I don't know the specifics." Mother nodded and appeared to be understanding my explanation.

The next question came from father, "You say you were born as... Haruka, right?" I nodded, confused. He went on, "So that means you've always been our daughter ever since you've come to this world?" Again, I nodded and I could see where he was going. "Are you meaning to say I'm your daughter and I did not steal her life?", I asked hopefully. Both mother and father smiled at me. "Why would we ever think like that? You're our daughter, Haru-chi. And nothing can change our minds sweetie", mother exclaimed while hugging me tightly. Father hugged both of us and laughed out loud. It looked like my worries were for nought, as my parents never thought I was imposing. I'm so glad to be brought to this family. Thank you so much, God! I started to feel tears in my eyes. Maybe I should go pray in a church when I can walk on my own, or ask my parents to bring me. Claire clapped in her hands and smiled brightly. I almost forgot about her, so I waved my free hand, which wasn't squished in the hug, to Claire. When she came closer, I pat her arm and smiled at her.

When mother and father pulled out of the hug, I suddenly exclaimed "Ahh!", which made both of them turn their heads rapidly at me with worry written all over their faces. After reassuring them with "Sorry, sorry. I forgot to say something quite important I guess...", I took a deep breath and told them about my magic. All three of them became speechless.

Father was the first one to break the silence, "You... wait a second. The reason you were sweating and had a pale face, was because you practised magic?!" I agreed with a grimace as I also thought it was ridiculous. "I thought it was maybe because I actually have the brain of a twenty-year-old...", I answered at his unspoken question. Father sighed, while mother chuckled. She said, "It's alright sweetie, don't break your head over it. What's good is that you're really not sick". She smiled with her lips and eyes while saying that. Father sighed again and reprimanded me, "But if you want to practice in the future, please do it where one of us is at your side. Understood?" While smiling, I nodded at him. He's just really worried, isn't he? Such a sweet father... Again, thank you so much, God. And Black Turtle God too. Even if I loved my life before, I never felt so loved...

Image: Claire (maid/nanny)