Miss Stacy Prepares For The Ball

'Twas the afternoon before the ball, and the whole of Avonlea was shivering with excitement. It wasn't often a dance like this was held, especially in the frozen dead months of winter.

It was one week before Christmas, and all Avonlea's youth had returned from college for the holidays festivities.

For a winter day, it was pleasant. The white sun shone down at the frozen earth from high up in the crisp blue sky, and the temperature had risen to a pleasant degree, making travel through the cold not so overbearing.

Out in the fare grounds, the A.V.I.S. was finishing up the decorating for the nights events. Miss Stacy, Marilla, Hazel, and Mrs. Lynde were cooking up an abundance of food so the guests wouldn't go hungry; Moody, Charlie, and a few of the other boys were finishing up the banner that would hang above the front entrance to the barn; Gilbert and Fred were out gathering would for the fire that would heat the barn at night; Cole, Aunt Jo, and Baxter were adding the final touches to the painting they'd been working on for the past week, and the girls were all setting up the candles and seating and miscellaneous decor.

"I'm so glad our fickle brother won't be attending the ball tonight." Prissy Andrews commented. Billy Andrews had moved out of Avonlea over the autumn time to marry off to a girl from White Sands. After a quarrel he'd had with his parents (along with all the other careless felonies he'd committed to his old schoolmates), it was decided that he would not be invited to the ball.

Jane nodded in agreement, "He may be our brother, but boy am I glad he isn't staying in Avonlea any longer."

Across the isle Josie Pye stood silent, thinking back to that horrible night at the last dance that took place in that very same barn. Anne met her eye and gave her a supporting smile. With much subtlety, Josie smiled back. After the whole incident with Roy Gardner, Anne had confided in Josie, who had had a very similar incident happen to her. The two girls had shared a very sentimental moment, and while still not exactly friends (for they still bickered often), there was something different in the way they saw eachother now.

The front door of the ball swung inward, bringing in a gust of cool air, as Miss Stacy bustled into the warm building.

"How's it going in here girls?" She asked.

Tilly spun around, the paper mustache she and Ruby had fashioned to her face fell crooked on her upper lip.

"Very well Miss Stacy!" Ruby smiled sweetly. She backed up into a bucket of paint, that would have spilled all over the ground if Diana hadn't been there to catch it.

Miss Stacy sighed, "Do be more careful girls, I want this ball to be perfect! I do believe this is just what Avonlea needs, especially this time of year. With all you off at college now, this province has gotten so dull. I truly believe we'll never have a bunch quite like you all in Avonlea ever again!"

"We really are something aren't we?" Anne said.

"Especially you Anne!" Miss Stacy laughed, "I dare say I'm certain I'll never meet another girl who has the same knack for trouble as you."

Diana wrapped her arm through the crook of Anne's, "I think a better word for it is adventure!"

For the rest of that day Miss Stacy supervised with an iron fist the preparations. Watching her old school teacher take charge in such a way, made Anne reminiscent of past days, where Miss Stacy had done just the same when they were all still in school.

When the clock struck two, everyone was called in for a light meal. As Marilla brought out a plate of sandwiches and almost frozen milk, the boys came in from chopping wood outside, and came and sat respectfully next to the rest of the A.V.I.S. team.

"Is there a sufficient amount of wood for now?" Miss Stacy inquired, passing out the food to everyone.

Fred Write nodded, his mouth full of food.

"I think there's a good amount," Gilbert told her, "Though we may end up having to go back out later today to get a bit more."

Miss Stacy sat down next to Anne and Mrs. Lynde, "It'll do."

The group began to talk joyously, and it really began to feel like old times.

Tilly waved a hand in front of her face, "Pee you! You boys smell horrid!"

Jane faked a gagging face and Diana laughed.

"You try chopping wood all day without working up a sweat!" Fred said, his tone angry, but his face alight with humor.

Anne agreed, "You all do smell like you just got done from having a party in a pig sty."

A sneaky look fell onto Gilbert's face, "Oh," he said, "So you wouldn't like it if I did... THIS!" He curled his arm across Anne's face and pressed her nose into his sweaty shirt.

She screamed and pulled away, "Gilbert Blythe that's disgusting!" she jested.

He looked hurt, "What? You mean you don't like my hugs?" he reached in for another one but Anne pushed him away with a teasing grin.

"You'll get all the hugs you want AFTER you clean up." She retorted.

They all finished lunch soon after, and when they were done, got back to their work.

"Hey, Anne, do you have any idea where Baxter went? He was supposed to head back out with us to finish chopping wood." Gilbert asked.

Anne shook her head, "No I haven't seen him, Cole is gone too..."

Aunt Jo stepped between them with a feint smirk on her wrinkled face, "I think it best we don't worry about those two right now... They're out for some... Alone time."

As she walked away, the realization of what she had just said dawned on Anne.

"Aww that's adorable!" Anne exclaimed wistfully, "Isn't it Gil?"

"Whats adora-" He froze mid sentence, and reality smashed into him, "Oh!.. But they're both- and he- Cole is Baxter's-" Gilbert rubbed his forehead, "How did I not see that?"

"It's not like you're the best at telling when someone loves another." Muttered Anne.

"What's that supposed to mean?" 

"Nothing!" Anne giggled, "Now go chop your wood!"

It was six o'clock when the barn was finished.

"Well team," Miss Stacy announced, "I do believe we did a pretty darn well good job today. It's been a pleasure working with you all. Especially my class of 1899. It's good to have you all back together." She looked fondly at the children she'd watched sprout and evolve from immature adolescence, to truly wonderful human beings.

Miss Stacy was proud to call them her students.

She loved them with her whole being, and they loved her too.