Death Of A Loved One

Elena paced the living room of the Salvatore Boardinghouse, the only sounds were the pacing of her feet on the wood floor and the crackling of the fireplace. She could feel Damon's eyes on her tracking her every movement as she tried to find the words to express the volcano that was about to erupt from her.

" Say something Elena," Damon said his voice clearly trying to hide the desperation he must have been feeling. If Elena were being completely honest she didn't really care what he was feeling at that moment, not after what he had just admitted to her.

" Why didn't you tell me sooner?" Elena asked turning to the man, who was suddenly a stranger to her. Everything she thought she knew about him was a lie, everything she thought she healed from was rushing back to the surface as if the loss had happened yesterday not all those years ago.

" I didn't think it would matter and by the time I knew you and knew who you were as a person, I couldn't hurt you like that," Damon said looking up at the brunette with his endless blue eyes.

Elena scoffed shaking her head and looking at Damon indigently. She didn't know what to say, she didn't know how to put to words everything she was feeling.

"They're dead, because of you, Jeremy grew up without a dad because of you. I lost my parents and had to grow up when I was a teenager, because of you," Elena said her brown eyes staring straight into his daring him to counter any of the points she had made.

" Yes," was all Damon said, because what could he say? Nothing he could say would make this better for Elena, nothing he said would ease the anger and pain that was so clearly emanating through her.

" You knew I was in that car, you saw me get in with my parents after we met, but you still did it," Elena said still trying to process the information.

" You were collateral damage," Damon said evenly.

" It's a damn good thing Stefan was there then," Elena said knowing those words would hurt the elder Salvatore brother in more ways than one.

" Don't bring him into this Elena," Damon said bitterly.

" You don't get to be mad at me right now Damon," Elena spat then grabbed the folders and journals from beside Damon.

"What are you doing?" Damon asked as Elena started walking away.

" Leaving, because if I stay in this room with you I'm going to say somethings I'll regret," Elena snapped.

"Where are you going?" Damon asked. " You can't go back to the dorms it's not safe for you there," he pointed out.

Elena turned glaring at the man, " yeah well apparently it's not safe for Gilberts here either Damon!" She shouted grabbing her keys from the table and storming towards the door. She slammed it going to her car as fast as she could manage.