Chapter 8.

When we reached the port,I heard all the crew members singing,as I looked for my father. Ben swept up behind me and kissed my cheek. "Who ya looking for?"he said,looking at the crowd of people."My father. He should be here,"I said,looking out into the crowd. I immediately saw one of my father's friends out there. He looked worried,and was pacing back and forth. I ran off the ship to him,with Ben close behind me. "Excuse me,Mr.Tiller?"I tapped on his shoulder,and he looked freaked out when he saw me. "Ah,Madeline,"he said,straightening his cloak. "I was sent by your father to come get you,"he said,shakily. Mr.Tiller held his arm out,and Ben nodded. I took his arm,as we walked along the crowded road.

We entered upon a dark building,with only one light on in one of the rooms. I didn't remember it being this gloomy,but then again,it's been forever since I came up here. Mr.Tiller knocked on the wooden door,as it shook when he knocked. A nearby owl hoed,startling Ben. I smiled at him,as he blushed. The door opened,and my father stood there,with his hands behind his back. "Madeline,I see you've come back to New York,"he said,gloomily. He ushered me in,but when he saw Ben,he narrowed his eyes at him,and pushed him inside.

It seemed like the inside of his house was more mysterious than outside. A brass chandelier hung in the middle of the room. There was a table in one room with a book with written words all over it. Ben wanted to read it,but I held him back. Father led me to the only lighted room,which was tiny. He sat on a chair that was surviving on 3 legs. Father folded his arms together,looking at me with his black eyes. Ben hung close to me,and gripped his hand on mine. "So,I see your really close with Mr.Hornigold? I thought you were better than that,Maddie,"he said,staring at Ben. "Father,he's really nice-"I started,until I saw Father get out his knife. That's when I realized he wasn't actually my father.