Part Five

Waking up to the blinding evanescent rays of sunlight is always irritating. Opening your eyes, you remember that you’re not home. 

Far from it. 

Beside the bed is nothing, but on the opposite side of the room there being a table with your new attire as a member of the Phantomhive household. 

A butlers outfit, huh? And a fancy dress? 
A note attached to the garments read: 
‘There will be a special guest visiting. Please wear this garment for when they are within the household.’ 

 Lazily, with sleep deprived eyes, you put on a corset, then the dress, making sure that it’s secure. 
A tall mirror stands in the other corner of the room, showing off your new outfit.

A crimson red dress with roses across the hemline, intricate embroidery across the chest of it. 

Is this supposed to be ironic, or something? You think to yourself, laughing slightly at the dress. Specifically at the fuchsia coloured flowers mixed in with the rest of the dress. 

~*~ 

“And this is?” A man asks, bowing as your eyes meet. 

You smile, curtsying back at them, but you wonder off to the kitchen, looking for some food. 

“That was M, the newest addition to my household.”

“As expected, you must have quite a large amount of lovers. M, you say? Is that a pet name?” 

You laugh to yourself, trying to walk as quickly as possible. 

Perfect, as usual, Sebastian stands at the stove, quietly preparing lunch. “What time is it?” 

“Good Morning, My Lady.” The butler takes out his clock, looking at the time. “It is almost noon.” 

“I see.” You sigh. “Why did no one wake me up?” 

No reply. “Okay… Well, I guess I’ll skip breakfast, then. I might as well just eat lunch.” 

Sebastian looks at you, a mysterious expression on his face. 
Sadness? Or contempt? Or is it happiness?

“The Young Master has asked for you to join him for lunch, please make your way to his game room, its fifth door to the left.” 
Why? 

~*~

“Why isn’t it Madam M? Pleasure to make your acquaintance, I’m Earl Smith.”
You smile, showing the correct etiquette, both them getting up at the entrance of a lady. 

Trying to show your most eloquent side, you bow with a little curtsey. “I am happy to make your acquaintance.” 

“M, take a seat.” Ciel, points to the seat adjacent to his, which you walk to smiling as you do so. 
His expression is priceless. You think to yourself, close to laughing at the Earl Smith.

Eyes wide, jaw dropped, he’s absolutely astounded at Ciel’s lack of manners.

“Pardon me, allow me to formally introduce myself.” You smile. “You may call me Madam M, I am the newest addition to the Phantomhive household. It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance, My Earl.” You almost laugh at the Earl’s expression, the shock in his eyes quite amusing. 

Almost on cue, Sebastian strolls whilst pushing a trolley with covered plates on top. 
“Pardon the intrusion; lunch is served.” 

Sebastian then goes on for the next ten minutes teaching the guest of the origins of some of the ingredients in the dish. The man would clap and smile at the butler, the urge for knowledge clearly apparent in his eyes. 

“If you’ll excuse me.” Sebastian leaves the room, leaving you. 

“Madam M, isn’t it? What a fascinating name, where does it come from?” Mr. Smith asks you curiously. 
“My name is… My name is my own little secret, M being the name everyone now calls me. It’s just something that I picked up somewhere.” 

~*~ 

So tedious. You think to yourself, walking down the corridor, holding a candle in your hand. 

As the light goes out, you duck. 
The windows smash, the sound of gunfire filling your ears. Adrenaline kicks in and you crawl back to your room, practically ripping off the dress, putting on the butler uniform as quickly as possible. 
Breathe. Another gunshot. Just breathe. A scream. Just breathe! An explosion. 

You look under your pillow, finding a gun. Your gun. 

Though your hands shake, you run after the sound you hear, defying common sense. “Sebastian!” 

Rain thuds down on the ground, a group of men on the floor, covered in rain and… And their own blood.

“Sebastian!” You shout the words again, and there’s once again, no reply. “Ciel!” 

A man gets up from the ground, swinging his fists at you. You move away, running as quickly as your legs can carry you. You stop, out of breath, and take a moment to compose yourself. A hand touches your shoulder, and your turn, gun in hand. 

A blonde boy smiles, looking slightly terrified at the gun. “The gardener…” You whisper. “Sorry, what was your name again?” 

“My names, Finny, miss.” Finny smiles at you. “I’ve been told by Mr Sebastian to take you somewhere safe.” 

“Where’s Ciel? Or the others?” Terror is apparent in your voice. 

BANG! Another explosion goes off, and Finny picks you up, running. He’s strong for someone so small… 

A gun fires from ahead, aimed for you. 

Darkness envelops all, as your eyes close, conciseness fading.

I’m like a curse. One second it’s all okay then… BANG! And always running. Running away from danger, from fear, from everything. I don’t want to run anymore. I want to stay with little Phantomhive and everyone there. Finny, the cook, the maid, Sebastian. Sebastian... Where are you Sebastian? You lied. You didn’t save me… 

Almost a whisper, yet like yelling, you can hear a voice. “Wake up, My Lady.” Drip, drop. 

I thought you were different. I thought that you… 

“Wake up, My Lady.” Please, stop. I hate it. I can hear him, his patronizing voice. 
“Please wake up, My Lady.” 

Drip, drop. That’s all you can hear. Water. Why can I hear water? 

The noise increases, the noise louder than before. Drip, drop. 

“Please wake, My Lady.” Stop it. Stop trying to tempt me into something. “Just open your eyes, My Lady.” Stop pretending to be worried. A normal Demon can’t feel such emotions. “I never said I was normal, did I?” 

The words are like a whisper, but the sincerity behind them is real. For the last time you hear it, drip, drop. 

“Please open your eyes for me, My Lady.” Silence. “There is no longer the need to run.”