Chapter 8

My eyes open, and the bright light blinds me. I don't remember how long I was out for.

Daisy gave me a lot to think about. If my sister was here now, she would probably scorn me for kind of actually like Shield.

I suddenly shoot up from laying down. My sister!

If this really is shield, then she must be here somewhere! Unless, they- no, they wouldn't have. Would they?

A knock on my door brings me out of my thoughts.

"Come in," I call.

The door slides open in Daisy walks in.

"Hey," she smiles, setting down a food tray on my side table.
"How's everything?"

"Okay," I shrug. I dig into my food. One benefit on being held by Shield is that they have some good food.

Daisy chuckles at my hunger.

"Hey Daisy," I say once I'm done.

"Yeah Iris?"

"I was wondering, has Shield ever killed anyone? Like people that they've captured?"

Her face turns grim. "We usually leave that to the higher authorities, but in some cases, we've had to. Why do you want to know?"

"No reason," I rush to say, forcing a smile.

Daisy eyes me especially before picking up my now empty tray and heading to the door.

"I suggest you don't get caught up in things you don't understand, Iris. We do what we have to do. See you later."

With that, she walks out the door.

But now, my fears have been basically confirmed. Shield killed Skye.