season 2 | chapter 04

"DO YOU THINK they will kill each other?" asked Johnny as he leaned against the wall of the empty corridor, the flickering light of the bulb above them casting a soft glow to the side of his face before withdrawing

Max shrugged, the atmosphere around him, Johnny and Lyla charged with a profound tension and a subjacent curiosity. "I can't say I've known Hilary for long, so the possibilities are fifty-fifty. As for Tyson, well, he can bend heaven to hell in no time."

"Tyson will be stubborn, but Hilary is no different either. She won't pass an opportunity of driving him into a corner and outsmarting him. After everything that's transpired between them, I bet she'd be looking forward to it," said Lyla.

Johnny's brows furrowed. He shook his head, as if he was trying to understand something but failed to reach the desired point. "What's really happened between Tyson and Hilary anyway? I've heard about them arguing multiple times, but never saw a scene unfolding. All I've ever gotten was a vague 'they're going at it, as usual' and if they weren't referring to the two of them, I would've been grossed out."

Lyla's shoulders hunched, resignation marring her features. Her eyes were lost in thought. "I wish I could explain, but I don't know the full story either. It was one of the things Hilary refused to go into further detail about. She would always blame Tyson for being a loudmouth, for pulling all sorts of pranks on her for the plain sight of irritation, but never told me why they continued this idiotic, immature feud."

Max held onto a crucial part. "You know how it started?" he questioned, staring at her with deep concentration.

Lyla gave him an affirmative nod. "Unfortunately, yes. It all started back when Hilary was introduced into Math as a transfer student. The course was running smoothly until it was Tyson's turn to stand and solve an equation on the board. It was actually one of the few occasions he wasn't overconfident and looked so clueless."

She brought the tip of her tongue to her lips to moisten them before revealing the second segment of the story. "He was rubbing his head to improvise, but the longer he stared at the equation without writing anything, the more the snickers were increasing. As expected, he turned to find out what the fuss was all about and was irked when he faced Hilary—who was sitting at the front desk of the middle row—with a mockingly-raised brow and a smirk staring at him."

Johnny laughed softly. "When you have the writing talent to be descriptive to the point you remember the row someone had been sitting at."

Lyla rolled her eyes. "I noticed it because I was sitting on the front desk of the right row, so everything was happening in front of my eyes. It was honestly like those teen drama movies you watch at the cinema."

"Teen drama," Max mused and ran a hand across his mouth. "I guess it was that bad then."

"And you're sugar-coating it, Max. Basically the gates of Hades opened and hell had climbed all the way up to the earth. Tyson challenged her to solve it in less than a minute—which Hilary did. He got frustrated and began hurling accusations at her for pretending to be a know-it-all. But, if I have to be frank, it was also Hilary's fault. She was triumphant over a simple equation and was rubbing Tyson's wounds with salt with her unspoken mockery. Of course, when he tossed one insult after the other, she didn't hold back and Miss Elizabeth sent them both to the principal's office. It all went downhill from then."