Chapter Forty-Nine: Good Grief

We woke up with a start when there was a knock on his bedroom door. I quickly scampered to hide under the bed.

“Michael! It’s time to get up!”

“Yep. Coming Mum!”

“Did Carrie go home last night?”

“No she’s in the guest room.” He yelled to get through the wooden door.

“Would you like me to wake her?”

“I will. Just give me a moment.”

“Ok. Be down in a few minutes. I’ve made breakfast.” He didn’t respond as we heard her footsteps retreating. I let out a sigh of relief as I dragged myself out from underneath the bed, amongst the old guitar chord books and comics.

“Aww cool! You have Archie comics!” I cheered as I started reading one there and then.

“C’mon Carrie. You heard Mum. We have to meet her downstairs. She even made breakfast for us.”

“Yup.” I gripped the comic and threw it onto the spare bed and quickly slid on some tights before I walked with Mikey to the kitchen. “Morning Mrs Clifford.” I yawned as I fell into a stool at the kitchen counter. Michael sat next to me and we were presented with a plate each, filled with poached eggs, bacon, hash browns, sausage and fried tomato. There was another plate with pancakes. She gave us a smile to say we could start eating. It was amazing. I hadn’t had a breakfast this wonderful in quite a while. We were sharing light conversation when I could hear ‘Lost In Stereo’. We looked at each other, bewildered when I realised it was my phone and ran upstairs, answering it just in time.

“Hello?”

“Yes, am I speaking to a Miss Carrie Griffith?”

“Yes.”

“Good morning Miss Griffith, sorry to disturb you. My name is Conrad Polovski. I’m part of the staff at Channel 7 Sydney. I was hoping I could see you this morning. I’m free at 11.30 this morning. Does that time work for you?”

“Yes. That’s sounds fine.”

“Ok great. Come to the sixteenth floor and ask to see Mr Polovski, and my assistant Laura should let you in.” Hmm. Henry’s office was on the 16th floor.

“Thank you sir.”

“See you soon Miss Griffith.” I ended the call and checked the time. My phone said it was half past eight so I had three hours.

“What was that about?” Michael asked as I returned downstairs.

“I have to see a guy at Channel Seven at 11.30.” I sighed, running a hand through my knotted hair.

“Can I come with?” He asked.

“I don’t see why not.” I smiled. Mrs Clifford smiled at me and offered me a mug of coffee which I took gratefully. “Thank you so much.” I sighed as I sipped at the piping hot caffeine. “I have to go home to get ready. I’ll pick you up at eleven.” I told Mike as I began packing up all my stuff.

“Heck no. Give me a few minutes to grab my things. I’m coming with you babe.” He declared. He went upstairs and I shrugged turning back to his mum, who I conversed with until he returned with a bag.

“What’s in the duffel?”

“A change of clothes. I’m not walking into Channel Seven looking like a hobo.” I chuckled and we said our goodbyes to Mrs Clifford before we jumped into my car and sped across Sydney to Surry Hills. We got to my apartment at quarter past nine, so I had an hour and 45 minutes. I was in stealth mode. We took the lift up and basically jumped out onto floor twelve. I unlocked the door and walked in. The whole place was silent as I dropped my bags onto the dining table. I walked into Haylea’s room to find her snoring softly from under the doona, right where I left her. Talia was in a similar position and I managed to wake both up with coffee. Too bad neither of them could keep it down. I felt awful to leave my two best friends in a time like that, but this was a meeting I was not going to miss. I left some medication on the bench and told both girls where I was headed before having a quick shower, putting my hair up into a ballerina bun. I went through my cupboard and found a pencil dress I absolutely adored. I paired it with a pair of shiny black heels and made my face up a little with some eyeliner and foundation. I grabbed my large black handbag, my sunnies, wallet, phone, keys and boyfriend and left.