Chapter Thirty-Six: London Crashes

I stood side stage with the boys and quickly flicked through my many photos of fans. I remembered my project for the boys and my stomach fell as I realised no one took photos of the fans in Birmingham. But as I flicked through I saw some pictures I hadn’t taken that day and of people I’d never seen before. They were even time stamped (2014-03-02 18:47).

“Hey.” I got Michael’s attention. “Did anyone use my camera for photos yesterday? Like did someone take fan photos in Birmingham?”

“Yeah I think Lou did.” He said. I was ok with that. I nodded, at least it wasn’t a total random. “Did you miss us yesterday?”

“Definitely.” I smiled. I had missed him. The four boys were called on and I stood right at the edge of the wing, gripping my camera for dear life. I wiped my hands on my dress and adjusted my flower crown as Luke introduced the act, made some jokes that I didn’t really hear and finally introduced me.

I had never walked out to that kind of reception, but people’s ideas of me had changed so dramatically over a single week it was ridiculous. They roared and stamped their feet and waved their glow sticks as I took my usual spot next to Luke. “Hello everyone.” I smiled. “As Luke said, I am Carrie Griffith. I don’t sing professionally but in Glasgow, when I first met these four lunatics, we were at sound check and they managed to convince me to sing and then decided I’d be their support act.” I shrugged.

“And we haven’t looked back.” Luke added. I smiled and he smiled back.

“Tonight, for you London, we will be singing Crash by You Me At Six.” Screams filled the room as Luke pulled his guitar up into playing position and started playing. He insisted on starting the song this time.

Wait, where you say you've been

Who you been with

Where you say you're going

Who you going with

Keep me on my toes, Keep me in the know

Wait, keep me in your skin, Keep me in your chest.

I wait for it to start; I wait for it to end

Keep me on my toes, Keep me in the know

Michael and Calum joined in for this bit

But when I looked at her, I thought of only you

If only there was proof I could use to show it's true

My solo started. I stared out into the crowd at people either singing or swaying their arms.

We were young, we were in our teens

It wasn't real love

Spent behind bars

Oh it's sad to think, We just let it be

Prisoners of love

It's so easy for it to be something you second guessed

Easy to read, don't let it become a meaningless routine, it's meaningless to me

But when I looked at her, I thought of only you

If only there was proof I could use to show it's true

Me and Lucas jammed for this part. I loved this part.

Just crash, fall down

I'll wrap my arms around you now

Just crash, it's our time now

To make this work second time round

My bit. Everyone had joined in on their respective instruments by now. In fact before the chorus they had probably joined in, I just didn’t notice.