one

Jealousy is a pretty ugly emotion.

It can make even the kindest, sweetest person look ugly in one’s eyes.

Inosuke vividly remembered that afternoon. He remembered sitting alone at the back, his head leaning against the wall. Surrounded by a group of other demon hunters of the Mizunoto rank, he wondered why they had all been summoned to the school.

“I heard they’re giving someone an award,” someone near him whispered.

“Ehh? Really? Why?”

“He helped in the development of that serum!”

The Miracle Serum. Created by a doctor who was a demon herself, it had the ability to change demons back into humans.

It was still being improved upon, and it was highly experimental, but it worked.

It made it possible to change demons back, instead of just killing them.

A Mizunoto had helped in the development of that???

The door opened and the room grew silent.

Inosuke’s entire body tensed up when he saw the boy who entered the room.

Inosuke often made a show of pretending to forget his name, but now it rung in his mind, loud and clear.

Kamado Tanjiro.

On Inosuke’s first day, he had gone beserk and beat up another Mizunoto.

Tanjiro had calmed him down—in the most embarrassing way possible.

Inosuke felt anger swell up in him. He had remained angry throughout the entire award ceremony.

He had seen Tanjiro in battle before. It had taken him a while to admit it to himself, but the truth was: he was better. At fighting. At everything.

Inosuke had been rather depressed for a while after that.

Now, he just felt angry whenever he saw Tanjiro.

He felt particularly angry now as he sat in his room, staring down at the message of his phone.

It had been decided by the higher-ups that he would need a partner for his assignments from now on.

This had been going on for some time, and Insouke always made sure that they quit after at least a week. It had been almost a month since the last one had run off, and Inosuke had thought it meant they had finally left him alone.

But it seems they had other plans.

Now, ‘Crow’—the name they used to contact demon hunters—had just sent him a message, letting him know that Kamado Tanjiro would be his partner until further notice.

He nearly threw his phone at the wall.