Chapter 6: The Run

Chapter 6: The Run

Isla

"I can't believe I did that!" I shout excitedly as Peter and I run down the street, opposite direction of the school. Peter laughs, "I can!"

We'd just packed our backpacks with things we're sure we'll need; food, water, baseball bat (which doesn't fit in the bag, but peter washed it and is dragging it behind him), knifes, some cash and other stuff.

It felt so good to feel myself doing it. I know it's over, at least with him. His blood was splattering everywhere, on the walls, on my face, in my mouth....

We eventually make our way to the forest surrounding our small town. "Where do we go from here?" I ask, attempting to catch my breath. Peter points through the winding, tangled trees, "Apparently if you keep walking through here, you'll make it out on the other side."

"No shit, that's how they work." I say, not realising how uptight I sound. He gives me an obvious look, "There's a city on the other side. I don't know what one, I don't care. As long as we don't get caught."

"Or..." I start, "we could try something a little riskier. You like risky, don't you?" He shrugs.

"Whatever makes you happy." He says, smiling at me dreamily. I always admired the way boys look at girls. Well, the good guys at least. Not the boys that look at girls like they're bate, the ones that look at girls like they're the most amazing invention created. I like that.

A few minutes later, we find ourselves on the side of the road, thumbs out. We know we shouldn't hitchhike, but we also knew not to murder people and we did it anyway. We don't have much to lose anyway.

After about ten risky minutes, a small, black car pulls up beside us. A man wearing a black and red checkerboard shirt and white khaki shorts was inside. "Where you headed, kids?"

I feel my heart begin to beat faster. We haven't thought of where we were going to say we were going. That wasn't in the plan. Lucky for me, Peter has done all this before, presumably, and he's got my back.

"The nearest city." He opens the door to the backseat and slides inside, gesturing me to follow.

"Ok," The man says, questionably. He starts the ignition and begins barrelling down the road.

"So, what are you two doing out here, hitchhiking to Melbourne?" He asks, looking at me in the rear-view mirror. I look at Peter, hoping he says something. "Baseball game," He lies, lifting his baseball bat above his head.

"Ahhh..." The man says, obviously a bit confused, "I didn't think they did baseball games on Mondays. Especially while school is on."

I chuckle awkwardly, "Yeah, sudden changes." I shrug. The man sighs, giving us a look, "Ok, I know you aren't going to a baseball game. Tell me, are you two running away?"

"No." I say quickly.

"Yes." Peter admits, nonchalantly. I shoot him a look as if to say, 'Bro, what are you doing?".

"Oh, why?" The man asks. Peter, still expressionless, shrugs like nothing happened, and says: "We killed her dad. Gotta get away, ya know?" He grips his baseball bat tightly, and I suddenly understand what he's doing.

"Oh," The man says, obviously not believing us, "I see." Peter lifts himself up a bit, "Could you pull over for a second? Just gotta piss." The man laughs and turns the car around, pulling over.

"Thanks," Peter says, getting to his feet, "Means a lot." He wacks the man over the head with the bat until he stops crying. He grabs his wrist, "No pulse."

He gestures me to help him as he lifts the body out of the driver's seat and onto the floor in the back. I climb into the front seat in one swift motion, "You're crazy, Hankinson." I laugh.

"What can I say? It's in our nature."

I don't know what was about the way he said 'our', but it intrigued me and made me awfully happy. I don't exactly know why.

He begins driving the car down the road approaching the highway after he adjusts his chair forward a bit, "You can drive?" I ask him.

"Of course, I can. Have you met me?" He smiles at me.

Fortunately for me, I have.