Chapter 9: The Makeover

Peter

The gazing sun is warming the car up fast. Every couple of minutes, someone looks at me funny and all I can think is, oh god, they know what we've done.

Lucky for me, I look older than I am. Not in height, but just how I look in my face and body.

Finally, Isla swings the door open, throwing herself into the passenger's seat. "What did you get?" I ask. She rubs her temples slowly with one hand, handing me the plastic bag in the other.

I rummage through it. Muesli bars, chip packets, etc. "I..." I start, "This isn't a lot. Did you get anything else?"

"Relax," She assures me, revealing another bag and pulling items out of it. I see crazy coloured hair dye, makeup, fake tan... the whole shabam, "I got other stuff."

"What is this?" I ask.

She sighs, "It's stuff average girls think they need to wear and use to look better and be accepted."

That was sudden.

"Ok..." I mutter, "What do we need this for then?"

She looks at her feet with an almost sad expression on her face. "Isla?" I ask.

"I heard you!"

I have a tendency of not waiting for someone to respond. I just ask them again.

"I..." Her voice trails off track. She turns to look out the window, "Some old hag in there knew me. We're all over the news."

"What for?"

"They know we killed him, Peter!"

I sit in shock for a moment, "That was quick," She nods. I start up the engine and we begin driving around.

"We need to do this now, Peter," She insists. I don't know what to do, so I agree.

"Woah," I exclaim, walking out of the shopping mall toilet stalls. In the mirror, I see a boy with bright purple hair. I look way tanner than I usually would. I barely recognise myself.

Isla walks out of the stall beside me, smiling at herself in the mirror. Her hair is bright yellow, strips of orange highlights streaming through her hair. She's also a whole heap more tanned than usual.

"I look completely different," She grins. I smile at her happiness as I watch her make her way closer to the sinks. "It suits you," I offer a compliment. She looks at me in the mirror.

"What does?" She asks.

"The hair. The tan. The everything."

She smiles at me sheepishly, "You're cute."

I feel my heart flutter excitedly, "You are too."

She smiles at me for a moment before it fades away quickly. "Woah," I exclaim, "What's wrong?"
She clears her throat, "What? Nothing,"

"No, something is definitely wrong. What is it?"

She sighs, "We can't keep the car," She explains.

"What? Why?"

"Why do you think, Peter? The number plates, mainly."

I understand what she's talking about. If anyone has reported the guy we killed as missing, they'll be looking for the car.

"Well, we can't really just leave it," I mutter.

"Why not?"

"Because we've had our fingerprints and the murder weapon of your dad in there,"

"Foster father,"

"Right, sorry,"

In silence, I watch her. She's sitting on the bench in between two sinks. Her hair really does suit her, as does the tan. She looks better as herself, though.

"We have to burn it," She instructs bluntly.

I sigh. We've gotten ourselves in way over our heads. I know she's right, though.

"Ok," I agree, "When?"

"Tonight. We'll wait till after sunset. We'll drive it out into the countryside and burn it."

I nod, "What are we meant to do until then?" She shoots me a mysterious smile.

"Why do people even wear these?" She laughs, holding up a bright neon green beanie. I laugh with her.

We're standing in some multi-purpose, cheap store that, for some reason, offers a wide range of bright, neon beanies.

"Oh my god, Isla!" I exclaim, reaching for the neon orange one on the shelf, "We should buy this!" She laughs, putting it on her head.

I stop for a moment and watch her in awe as she dances around in the orange hat. I've never understood how some people can look so good without even trying.

She stops, her eyes locked onto something. She swings at it, revealing a deep purple beanie. She pulls it over my head, smiling.

"You look good," She blushes.

I feel my cheeks warm up, "Yeah. You too,"

She looks around her, checking that nobody is around us, "Hey," She whispers.

"Hey?"

"We should steal these," She giggles.

I look her in the eyes nervously. Ever since I met her, it seems crazier to do things like this. I'd usually do these on my own, but I feel like I shouldn't when I'm with her. I don't know.

"Yeah. Ok,"

Walking towards the exit, the worker standing there is eying us suspiciously. I give Isla a confident look, which she shoots back. Although I seem confident, I'm pretty nervous.

As we get closer and closer, a woman asks the worker lady to help her with something and that's when Isla executes her plan perfectly. She grabs the two price tags and runs up behind a young woman in front of us, slipping them into her bag carefully. Luckily, she doesn't notice her.

The woman walks through the scanners, setting them off immediately. The worker stops the customer mid conversation and walks over to check the woman's bags, giving us the perfect opportunity. We look at each other hopefully, and I feel Isla's hand grab mine. We run out of the shop, right behind the shop assistant's back.

After we get a far distance away from the store, we stop running. Hands on her knees, leaning over and panting, Isla laughs her adorable laugh. "That was awesome!" I exclaim.

She stands up straight, stepping closer to me.

I excitedly say, "I can't believe we did that, oh my g- "

But, suddenly, I'm interrupted by Isla... but she didn't say anything... she kissed me...

She kissed me... Oh my god... She kissed me...

After a moment, she steps back. She looks me in the eyes, no expression on her pretty face. I smile at her, softly holding her face and pulling it closer to me.

And then I kissed her.