Chapter 15: Coffee

Chapter 15: Coffee

Isla

"Good morning, Isla!" My manager sings at me as I walk through the café's glass doors. I slam my purse on the table in anger. Why do I have to get up at five in the morning, every morning just for this?

"Hello, Kerry," I sigh. I hate her. She's only, like, seventeen. She's always complaining about how her boyfriend and her had an argument and her life is so hard. At least she gets to see her boyfriend. At least she knows where he is...

"How's your morning going?" She smiles at me. She's leaning on the wooden counter, next to the cash register. I rub my temples, "Awful, Kerry. My morning is going awfully. So, if you could, please shut up,"

Her jaw drops open. She stands up straight, adjusts her apron and spins around. I watch in frustration as she sashays into the back room. God, she pisses me off.

"We open in an hour," She calls out to me, "Clean up," I slam my fists on the counter and shout, "Fine!"

When the store opens at seven, I'm still miserable. I go through these days where I just miss him a whole heap, but I know I can't do anything about it.

A man in a bright orange beanie walks in. AS soon as I see him, memories flash before my eyes.

"We should buy this!"
"Let's steal these,"

"Yeah, ok,"

I blink back to reality. The man is standing in front of me, looking very impatient. He opens his mouth to talk, but I interrupt him, 'Where did you get that?"

He looks up at his beanie, "Magic Bargains in Melbourne. Why?" I feel my lips curve into a smile. I turn around and kick the back door open. My manager stands up and begins walking towards me, "Excuse me, Isla? What was that?"

I poke my tongue out at her, flick my two middle fingers up and start running towards the door.

"Isla?" She shouts at me.

"Die in a hole, you fat pig!" I scream at her.

I run down the street until I get to my car. As soon as I'm on the road, I feel better. Something about going somewhere familiar is kind of comforting.

I drive in silence for a long time, reliving the moments of us being only fourteen. I felt bad for a long time after it all happened because I thought it was my fault we were caught. If we'd just stayed out in the middle of nowhere, we could've gotten further.

Or maybe we wouldn't have. Who knows.