Chapter 12: It's Over

Isla

I wake up in the morning, my head on Peter's chest. He's already awake.

"Hey," he smiles at me.

"Hey,"

I sit up and tub my tired eyes. He gets out of bed and walks to the door, "I'm gonna go see if there's a breakfast buffet," He calls out to me.

As the door closes, I look around the room. On the bedside table, there's a phone. Maybe I should call my foster mum. She was usually nice to me.

No, I can't do that. What am I thinking? She'll hand us in straight away. Not gonna lie, I miss her. She always made me breakfast and took me shopping.

I feel a warm tear run down my cheek. I close my eyes, trying to prevent more tears falling but a few more roll down my cheeks. Soon, I'm actually crying. But it's a quiet cry, the one where there are tears falling but no sound.

Suddenly, loud footsteps echoing towards our door stop. Someone is banging on the door.

"Isla!" I hear a hiss. It's Peter!
I wipe the tears off my cheeks as I run to the door. As soon as I open it, he charges in. I watch in confusion as he locks the door behind him and begins trying to drag furniture in front of it.

"What's going on?" I exclaim. He looks up at me. I see the fear in his eyes, "The cops are here!" He shouts.

I feel my heart drop. Vomit is rising in my throat, tears erupting out of my eyes.

"W-what?"

"No time for explanation! Move some furniture!"

The beds are too heavy for us to move and the bookcases are nailed to the door, the same way the bedside tables are nailed to the ground. Peter is trying to lift the bed again.

"Isla, they're gonna be here soon! C'mon, let's try again!"

I sigh, "Peter..."

"If you stand at the end and I stand at the front..."

"Peter, please listen to me!"
"...maybe we can push it..."

I hear a stampede of loud footsteps coming towards the door. A loud bang against the door makes me jump. I look at Peter. His eyes are flooding with tears.

"Peter..."

"Isla, I'm sorry,"

BANG!

"It's not your fault, Peter,"

"I promised to keep you safe,"

BANG!

"Peter..."

"Let's go, let's jump out the window or something. Please, Isla. It's only the second floor!"
BANG!

"There's no way we'll survive,"

"We will! Please, Isla, I can't lose you!"

BANG!

"Peter!" I shout, "It's over,"

BANG!

The door falls to the ground, erupting the ground in a tornado of dust. A man from the police force jumps on top of me. I let him put me in handcuffs while tears stream down my face, but I don't feel anything.

I hear Peter screaming my name, begging the man that has him to let him go, but I feel nothing. I know what's going to happen to us. We'll be thrown in jail, thrown away the key. Our families will forget about us. Our school will have an assembly telling people who are feeling the way we did to reach out and seek help. Our story will be twisted a million times, but one thing will stay the same-we murdered two men in in our own selfishness.

They walked me to the police car, throwing me in the back. Just as we were about to drive away, I see Peter standing by the entrance of the hotel. His eyes are red, and his cheeks wet with tears.

The car pulls forward, and I mouth something to peter, 'I'm sorry'. He smiles weakly and mouths back, 'I love you'.