Chapter 13: Black Eye

Isla

Twenty-five years later...

I got away with what I did. Both murders. Well, kind of.

I was sent to a mental institution for nineteen years. Can you believe that? Nineteen years!

It wasn't too bad in there. The chicks were scary, but the security guards were scarier. The food wasn't too bad. The beds were a bit lumpy, though.

I didn't make any friends in there, even though I tried. And when I got out, I tried to find a boyfriend, but no one could beat Peter.

I often found myself wondering where he was, whether he was thinking of me or if he's forgotten about me completely. I wondered if he was sent to prison for what he did. Maybe he was sent to a mental institution like I was. Or maybe he was on the run again. Either way, I wondered if he missed me.

When I was let out, I had nowhere to go, no one to turn to. I thought about him every second of my day, I tried to find him, but I had no luck. I eventually settled down in a small town, far away from Melbourne because it reminds me of him. I got a job at a coffee shop and bought a dog. His name is Senor Henry.

I still find myself thinking about him, but I know that a stupid teenage love story would never have a happy ending, no matter how hard I wanted it to.

But all I can think about is the first time I saw him, and how the first thing I noticed about him was his black eye.