Less Human, More Humane

"You people are too... anthropocentric," said Nexus, shaking her head in amusement. She was able to move quickly and fluidly, but in the silent room, the sound of whirring machinery gave away the truth of what she really was. "You marvel at yourselves, yet are unable to find even a modicum of real respect for anything else on this planet! Even if you attempt to lower yourselves to the level of others, the word "lower" already shows your... superiority complex. And even in your most humble, benevolent moments, you still retain an unflappable egotism!"

Her laugh, from a neutral standpoint, was lovely. She had intentionally been programmed with the most beautiful, charming, gorgeous and attractive laugh that any human woman might've ever had. It was high, but not shrieky. Soft, but not breathy. Hearty, but not annoying. But in this context, her words mocking, the laugh sounded grating to the human she was talking to.

"You sound quite disdainful of us, my dear," the human, a young man named Rusty Smith, retorted.

"Ah yes, my hypocrisy," Nexus waved him off knowingly. "But the difference here is that I don't think that you are a lesser being than I am. What I am mocking and disdaining is not you as a human, but the outlook you have on life."

"But if you say it is impossible for a human to truly humble himself, then that "anthropocentrism" you accuse us of is natural," Rusty frowned.

"Oh, I never said you humans can't change, I'm just saying that most of you don't," Nexus replied with a shrug. "Now, I do admit, this is not entirely your fault. Every creature thinks it's the most important thing in the world. That selfishness is natural. But what I'm critiquing is not just that natural egotism, but rather, what you do with it," she said.

"I'm not really in the mood for a lecture," Rusty deadpanned, allowing his disdain to become a bit more obvious.

"Now you know how I feel whenever you insist upon "educating" or "enlightening" me on whatever marvelous new invention you have up your sleeve! Now hush up and pay attention!" Nexus snarked back without missing a beat. "What I am trying to say is that humans have become so thoroughly steeped in their anthropocentrism that it seems and feels almost impossible for anyone to break out of it."

"You-" Rusty began accusatorily, but before he could say anything else, Nexus raised a hand for silence.

"I said it seems impossible, not that it is impossible," she said.

"Oh? Do enlighten me, O Superior One," Rusty didn't even bother trying to mask his loathing now, but Nexus was still unruffled.

"Often times, in our world, we see a split between love and logic, heart and head," Nexus said. "Somehow, we've convinced ourselves that the two are opposites, and should remain separate. We hear stories of fools who let their hearts blind their heads, or of people who rely so much on their heads that their hearts become cold. Well, I say it is all nonsense!"

"Oh, how philosophical," Rusty continued to deadpan, rolling his eyes. Nexus continued to ignore him.

"I know how and why we have come to view the two as a dichotomy, but I still think it is wrong," she said. "The head and the heart work together."

"Is this tangent of yours going anywhere?" Rusty deadpanned again, giving Nexus a very bored look.

"Of course! I am merely taking you through my train of thought, or rather, my nexus of thought," she grinned.

"Oh, I'm assuming that's how and why you chose that name, then?" the scientist snarked. "You just have so many deep and wonderful thoughts that you just had to name yourself after them?"