ch 4 - hopping fences pt 1

thursday, november 26th, 2008 (current year)

“jesus christ, michael. this place looks…”

“desolated? abandoned? a bust for cash, maybe?” i poke fun at his desired destination.
“if you’re going to act like that, clifford, it’s up to you next time, and for your great knowledge, i’m far more familiar with this area than yourself.” he says, finally ripping the keys from the ignition.
i slump back into my seat, watching the very few customers waltz their way in. i had a strange feeling in my stomach that one of them looked too familiar for my comfort.

“are you coming, eeyore? pooh bear here is freezing.” luke waits impatiently, as i return no response.
“or you could simply gawk while i get the money.” he slams the door, which knocks me back into reality. who the hell was she?
i grab my bag, shove the barrel of my gun into my waistband, and follow him into the small store.
distractions are never a good thing, and that girl was definitely a distraction. i couldn’t help but notice the way her hair fell to her shoulders, and the way she had glared at me, similar to how i saw herself.  for a quick minute i was a hesitant to go through with this. she knows who i am.
“hurry your ass up, romeo.” luke mutters.
i choke out an ‘okay’ and join him at the register. we stand, and we wait, until a small line has gathered behind ourselves, awaiting a response, or a get-go.
“are you going to purchase anything, kid? people are waiting.” the cashier spits.
“yes. i apologize. there’s simply, one issue.” luke replies, as i notice the ever-tightened grip on his blade.
“we need a little money to do so.” he smirks, creeping behind the register, gliding the blade carefully, ever so lightly across the man’s throat. he winks at me, and i smile back.
“see, sir.” i breathe, “if we have the money, all issues would be cleared easily.”

“always.” luke whispers, his cold breath brushing against his neck.
the cashier’s breath seems to grow choppy; as he speaks, his voice grows much deeper.
“o-okay. get the fucking knife off of me and i think i’ll be able to do that for you.”
his nasty response took me aback, but we need the money, regardless. as luke gathers the cash from the register, my thoughts creep back in my head once another time. i’m surprised we haven’t been caught yet. however, i think it adds up. i’m constantly changing my hair color, traveling down the west coast, in highly populated cities. go fucking figure we haven’t been caught. we’re sleek. we know what we want and we know how to get it. cut out of contemplation, luke sneers, “let’s get out of here.”
i roll my eyes slightly, adjusting the collar of my jacket, and on my exit, i lock eyes with one of the three customers who stood in line behind us. unlike the rest, he appeared perfectly calm.
“i know you would never hurt me clifford. i’ve done too much for you.” he murmurs, cocking his head sharply before turning himself around. the only ounce of conversation caught the girl’s attention, as i look at her one last time.
michael.” she mouths, her jaw dropping heavily.

{flashback : ashton's point of view}

monday, april 14th, 2006 11:46 am

i couldn't believe it. three months have past and she already, little to my surprise, has a new man on her arm. i couldn't fucking stand him already i got so lost in my thoughts that i almost began to mow the gravel pit where the playground sits. refocusing myself, i pushed the goddamned thing the other way. i could hear something in the distance but i assumed  it was simply a few of tenants conversing. soon I felt a hand on my arm, an all too familiar hand. i turned off the lawn mower and removed my protective earwear.
"can i help-oh. hello sherri." i sighed, the anger rolling subtly off my tongue.
“ashton, i wanted to introduce you to calum. h-he's gonna be staying with me..for a while." she said nervously, clutching tighter to the kid’s arm.
"hey man. it's great to meet you." he smiled and offered his hand.
"yeah. yeah, you too." however uninterested, i shake his hand anyway. for a while we stood there, a deafening silence consuming us.
"uh, ashton here is the landlord of the building." sherri said, a desperate attempt to break the silence.
"nice meeting you man; now if you'll excuse me, i have some mowing to finish." i say a bit snarky before putting my earwear back on and starting up the lawn mower. before I could make a complete path i felt another tap on my shoulder, forcing me shut everything off again.
"what the hell do you want now?!" i snapped before turning around. it was michael.

"oh, hey. sorry man." i apologize.
"long day?" he asks as we make our way to the picnic table.

"you have no idea." i shook my head.

"you have get over her, for fuck’s sake. she's not good for your health." michael threw me a sympathetic smile.

"i know, i just...i still love her. fucking hell."

"i’m sure you do but as much as this is gonna hurt to hear, she's moved on and found someone else. i can promise you there is someone a million times better for you out there."

"if there was only a way I could keep my job and not have to deal with their shit." from there, a  smirk grew on michael's face.

"if  only life was that easy."

[michael’s point of view]

i had quickly took ashton's words into consideration. the life of robbing shops had become a bit tiresome and this was the perfect way to switch things up. i sit on the lounge room sofa trying to devise a plan but with being new to this, things weren’t necessarily easy.

"you alright, mate? you've been sat here spacing off for almost an hour now."

"there’s a new job for us. could pay great. depends on what you'd be up for."

"anything."

“even taking someone's life?"

"woah. what the hell?" Luke asked nervously.

"i’m going to do a friend of mine a favor. you can tag along if you'd like or be a pussy and i’ll do this myself."

"i’ll help." he replies, biting his lip harshly.