ch 5 - hopping fences pt 2

monday, april 14th,  2006, 3:13 pm

being friends with the manager of an apartment complex has it's perks. if he has any odd maintenance jobs that he'd rather not hire and pay someone else to do, he asks for your help. which usually means you have access to maintenance uniforms. i didn't think they'd ever come in this handy. after luke and i suited up, we made our way to the complex.

to say I was nervous would be an understatement. i had never had a project so big but the adrenaline had told me i'd be fine. luke quickly knocked on the door.

"hello. are you sherri, by chance?" i asked when she opened the door.

"yes, i don't recall requesting any maintenance, though." she said, puzzled.

"we're here on behalf of ashton irwin, he said he's gotten a few complaints about leaking pipes and we just wanted to check quickly and see if you were having any problems." i smile, shifting my tool box around.

"sure, come in."

"who's there babe?" a tall, brown haired guy asked. that must be the new man.

"it’s uh- just the maintenance men. coming to check the pipes."

"oh, well do you wanna get back to our movie while they work?" he asked, pulling her close.

“i’ll come check on you guys in a bit, if that's okay." she says, smiling.

"no problem ma'am. if there's any trouble, we'll holler for you." luke spoke with a  grin plastered  on his face.

"we're gonna start in the back bathroom, let's go." I signal to luke and he follows. each of these apartments were laid out the same way; a lounge room, kitchen area, a bathroom, a master bedroom, and another bedroom with a bathroom attached. luke and i set our tool kits down after reaching the back and unlocked them, pulling out our guns and silencers so they were ready for our use. as soon as both were set up, i heard a faint pair of footsteps coming down the hall.

"shit. luke, hand me a wrench and give me the gun." he quickly chucks my things at me, and i hide the barrel in the pants of the uniform, before placing the wrench on the pipe to make it look as if i was getting anywhere.

"is everything alright back here?" she asks with that same stupid smile.

“we have a bit of a problem." luke says. i quickly sit up, trying not to hit my head on the sink and blow our cover.

"what seems to be the problem?" her smile started to waver.

"this." i mutter, pulling out my gun and shooting her between the eyes before she could speak. luke and i sat and watched as her body fell lifeless to the floor. the color in luke's face began to disappear quite quickly. "keep it together man, we're almost done. just one more. oh, and he's all yours." i stifle, putting my kit back together. once we got back to the lounge, calum had turned to face us.

"so, is everything okay with the pipes?" he asks.

"yeah. just a bit of rust is all, making the water turn red."

"i’ve never heard of rust turning water red." he said, his voice draining into a monotone.

"yeah, i guess you're right. but you know what does?" luke asks, his fingertips dance across his pocket, getting anxious about what's to come.

"what?" he asks, unamused.

"blood." luke says as he whips his gun out and shoots the man just as I had shot sherri, but with one difference; he forgot his fucking silencer.

"you are, such, a fucking idiot." i yell as luke fumbles nervously with his gun, attempting to place it back in his pocket. "did i or did i not say for you to attach your fucking silencer?!"

"i was getting there but she was coming back! i had no other choice and that is not my fault."

"are you trying to get us caught? you know what? fuck it. i have one thing quick to do and then we need to get the fuck out of here." i spit, racing to the back bedroom. seconds later i returned to grab luke, dragging him out by his shirt collar.

[ashton’s point of view]

receiving a noise complaint is nothing out of the ordinary when you own an apartment complex, but something seemed entirely off. i realise the complaint was aimed at sherri’s apartment as soon as i get to the door, which was cracked open.

"sherri? whatever-the-fuck-your-name-was?" i holler, hoping for a response. stepping forward, I feel something hit my foot.

"what the he--holy shit!" i scream, noticing that it was sherri's boyfriend’s hand, who was now dead. "sherri. sherri, where the hell are you?" i run to the far bedroom to find her in a pool of blood. the woman i loved was now lying in front of me, there on the ground, pale and lifeless. i sat up from my slouch, and slumped forward towards the door; only to close it, and lean to it into a deep sob. if i don’t shut up, i figured, someone else would be arriving soon. starting to clean up the mess around me, i found a sloppy note lying on the kitchen counter in front of me.

"funny how life works. problem solved. m"