SIX.

"we were all born so beautiful, the greatest tragedy is being convinced we're not"

-

SIX.

CADY PEERS OVER THE SIDE OF THE CLIFF AND WHISTLES AT THE RUSHING WATERS DOWN BELOW. Susan sighs, saying, "You see, over time, water erodes the earth's soil, carving deeper–"

"Oh, shut up," Peter groans, interrupting the brunette. Susan only smirks back,

Edmund asks, "Is there a way down?"

"Yeah, falling," Trumpkin deadpans, shooting them an unreadable stare.

"Well, we weren't lost." Peter almost seems smug about himself.

"There's a ford near Beruna, how do you feel about swimming?" Trumpkin asks.

Susan nods, already turning away from the cliff. "Rather that than walking."

"Beruna?" Cady echoes. "We shouldn't go that way. The Telmarines started building something there a few months ago, on Miraz's orders."

"It's our only option right now, I don't think we have much of a choice." Peter tilts his head, gesturing to them to follow Trumpkin.

Lucy lets out an excited gasp all of a sudden, "Aslan?" Cady whips her head around to where Lucy is looking, squinting at the opposite side of the cliff, trying desperately to catch a glimpse of the legendary golden mane of the Great Lion. "It's Aslan! It's Aslan over there!"

"Don't you see? He's right...there," the young girl trails off, disappointment in her voice.

"Do you see him now?" Trumpkin challenges.

Lucy frowns, protesting, "I'm not crazy. He was there. He wanted us to follow him."

"I'm sure there are any number of lions in this wood, just like that bear," Peter speaks with a sigh.

"I think I know Aslan when I see him," Lucy grumbles in annoyance.

Trumpkin mutters something under his breath that Cady barely caught, "Look, I'm not about to jump off a cliff after someone who doesn't exist."

"The last time I didn't believe in Lucy, I ended up looking pretty stupid," Edmund shoots back to defend his younger sister, arching an eyebrow at Peter.

Peter ignores him, opting to look back across the river to the opposite cliff. "Why wouldn't I have seen him?"

"Maybe you weren't looking," comes Lucy's reply.

"I'm sorry, Lu." Peter sighs before turning away, heading off to follow Trumpkin and Susan towards Beruna.

Cady stands in her place beside Edmund, waiting for Lucy. The boy tilts his head in her sister's way as Lucy looks back at them, her lips pursed.

"I believe in you," Cady tells the young queen when she walks past.

"Thank you, but that's no use right now," Lucy smiles sadly, jogging to catch up with the group.

Beruna has never looked any more different than at that moment. Cady ducks behind a pile of logs with the group as they sneak around the scene at Beruna.

Thousands of men labour underneath the blazing sun, cutting down the trees lining the beachy shore and building towering catapults. Guards patrol the land, their helmets glinting silver in the sun blindingly and each carrying a weapon of some sort.

"I told you so," Cady mumbles under her breath.

Trumpkin shoots her a glare and Edmund lets out a sigh beside her. "How on earth are we going to get to the Narnians now?"

Cady whips her head towards the sound of horse hooves at the side and spots a familiar black bearded man on his armoured horse. Acting quickly, she crouches further down beside Edmund, who gives her a worried look. "Uncle Miraz," the blonde mumbles.

Peter looks up hesitantly to survey the scene, ducking down when the calvary inch closer to their hiding spot. "Perhaps this wasn't the best way to come after all." Susan whispers frantically.

Cady lets out a breath she doesn't know she is holding and huddles closer to Edmund, who reaches for her hand and gives her a little reassuring squeeze.

x

THE RETURN TO WHERE ONCE THE RIVER RUSH WAS IS MUCH LESS ENTHUSIASTIC WITH THE SUN BEGINNING TO SET BEHIND THEM. Cady is beginning to feel the creeping tiredness in her legs and shifts her weight on each foot as they survey the river down below.

"So where exactly do you think you saw Aslan?" Peter asks.

"I wish you'd all stop trying to sound like grown-ups," Lucy says sternly, almost scolding. "I don't think I saw him. I did see him."

Trumpkin frowns, "I am a grown-up."

Cady shrugs as Lucy walks closer to the edge of the cliff, "It was right over–"

The earth gives way and Lucy lets out a shrill scream, dropping down and out of sight.

"Lucy!" Susan shouts. The group dashes towards the gap in the ground, huddling to look for the youngest in their group.

"Here!" Lucy lets out a breath of relief, grinning from below, having landed on a hidden pathway.

They each drop down to the pathway one by one, making their way down the cliffside and arriving at the shallow rushing water. Cady sighs in content, breathing in the clean salty scent of fresh water.

Her mother always said that the water is her true home, find the current and you'll find home. Cady cannot resist to pull off her boots, sinking her feet into the cool clear water. It soaks her riding pants wet and a thrill of power surges up her legs like electricity in her veins.

She follows the group across, a spellbinding smile stretched across her face as they walk across the shallow water.

When they finally find a place to set up camp on the other side of the river, night has fallen and the sky is littered with bright stars, constellations glittering in the dark. Cady starts a warm crackling fire and moves to sit down between Edmund and Susan, crossing her legs and leaning against a tree.

The others fell asleep quickly, warming up to the fire and leaving Trumpkin's snoring that drowns out the soft crackling of the flame in the middle. Soon, the only sound that competes with the dwarf's nasal noises is Cady's sharpening of her weapons from where she sits. Sleep doesn't come easy to her, especially when she is worrying over her brother.

"Hey," a soft voice says from her left and Cady looks up from her sword to find Edmund scooting closer to her, moving to sit beside her.

Cady gives the brunet a smile. "Hey, can't sleep?"

"You too?" Edmund nods with a faint sigh. He takes a glimpse at the dagger Cady has set aside and gestures at it. "May I?"

"You should have it back," Cady nods, handing the delicate knife to him.

Edmund marvels at the dagger, flipping it to stare at the details of woodland vines curving to form the hilt. "I haven't seen this in ages."

Cady notes the sculpted head of a lion at the end of the hilt and points at it. "Is that Aslan?"

Edmund nods, his voice distant as he replies, "Yes, he had it made in the Lone Islands, and he gifted it to me after the battle with the White Witch. There was another one, he said, there was an identical one and the two daggers together can unleash unknown magic."

"Is that why it's a one-sided blade?" Cady asks, tossing a few twigs into the fire to keep it burning.

"Possibly, but the other one was lost in the Lone Islands and no one, not even Aslan, has seen it since its forging," he sighs, shaking his head before handing it back to Cady.

"Keep it, Edmund."

"It's alright, princess." His eyes glint mischievously under the crackling fire. "For extra protection."

Cady laughs quietly, making sure to not disturb the others. "I can handle myself just fine."