Chapter 9

Trigger warning for alcohol and drinking
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As soon as Kondraki got home, he started brewing a pot of coffee. If he was going to stay up late to do these papers, he was going to need fuel.
Something caught his eye. The bottle of vodka he kept on the shelf above the fridge.
That would be better than coffee. He thought to himself
"We're saving it for a special occasion," Kondraki muttered to himself.
That day probably won't ever come, because there's a big chance you'll be dead in a few days.
"True, true..."
Kondraki walked over to the fridge. His hand hovered over the bottle.
"What if I fall down that rabbit hole again...?"
It's fine. Dude, unless you fake your death and run off into the world again, there is no way in hell you are surviving until next week.
"You got me there.." He said as he grabbed the bottle.
Kondraki walked to his room and placed everything down on the desk and sat down. He took a sip of vodka and began to do the papers.

Draven woke up the next morning and got ready as usual. He was sad that his father wasn't spending much time with him, but he understood.
As he was getting ready, Draven noticed something. He didn't hear Kondraki getting ready for the day.
Draven slowly crept into his father's room and saw him still sleeping at his desk. There was a mostly empty bottle of vodka in his hand.
"Dad?" Draven said nervously.
No response.
"Dad?" He said again, this time shaking Kondraki.
Kondraki suddenly woke up. He grabbed Draven by the wrist. There was a wild look in his eye. Draven tried to pull away, but his father's grip was too strong.
It took a moment for Kondraki to process what was going on.
"Draven...?" He said, letting his son go. He sounded groggy.
"Dad? What are you doing?" Draven took the bottle out of his hands. "You said you wouldn't do this again,"
"Look, Drav... I'm sorry... I had to. I-"
"Stop. You promised you wouldn't drink until you passed out," Draven's voice was shaking with both anger and sadness.
"Calm down. It was just for tonight. I won't ever do it again,"
"YOU SAID THAT LAST TIME!" Draven slammed the bottle down on the desk and stormed out.
"Fuck..." Kondraki muttered.
Draven was right. After the divorce, Kondraki went downhill. He started drinking one day. Draven was too young to understand what was going on at first, but as he got older he realized that what his dad was doing was unhealthy.
Kondraki got up and followed Draven into his room.
"Draven... can we talk...?"
"What do you want to talk about?" He sounded bitter.
"I'm sorry... yes, I did promise, but things have been getting hard, and... I couldn't really help myself,"
"Stupid excuses, just like last time,"
"Okay. Fine. Nothing I say will be able to make this better. Just know that I'm sorry, okay? I really am,"
Draven didn't speak for a moment.
"Fine..." he muttered. "Now I'm gonna be late, so leave me alone,"
"Alright. Need a ride?"
"No." Then he slammed the door on his father's face.
Kondraki looked at the door in surprise. Draven had never done that. Though Kondraki had broken a promise.

When he got to work, everything felt different. Empty.
Suddenly Bright came out of nowhere and tackled him in a hug. Kondraki almost fell over.
"What the hell, Bright?!"
"Sorry Draki. It's just been sooo looong since I've seen you. Are you avoiding me?"
"No, I've been busy trying to make sure the O5s don't kill me,"
Bright let go of Kondraki and looked at him.
"What did you do this time?"
"I didn't do anything!"
"Yeah, right." Bright gave him a suspicious look. "It's never nothing,"
"Look, this time it wasn't my fault. I swear,"
"Fine. I'll believe you this time. Anywhoooo.." Bright began to walk in a circle around Kondraki. "What are they making ya do?"
"Paperwork. Still have a stack left to do. Why aren't you standing still?"
"Because that's no fun. Do you want any help?"
"Nah. Don't think I can anyway,"
Bright frowned. "Oh. Well, is there anything at all I can do to help you?"
"You can get me a cup of coffee," Kondraki chuckled.
"Knew you were gonna ask for that. I'll go get it-" Bright started to walk towards the break room.
"You don't actually have to get anything." Kondraki said, stopping Bright.
"Too bad. I've got nothing better to do," he smiled.
"Fine. Oh, have you seen Clef at all?"
"Your boyfriend? Nah. I think he's out at a different site,"
"That's a shame. And he's not my boyfriend,"
"Whatever you say. You just don't want to give up that fifty dollars." Bright said as he walked away.
"Oh whatever," Kondraki called after.
As he walked down the hallway, the butterflies started taking their usual spots on and around him.
"WORRIED?" A small group of 408 formed the word in the air.
"Yeah, just a little bit..."
"ABOUT... PAPERS... OR... HIM?"
"Both. Hey, can you guys tell what feelings I feel about him? Cuz I sure can't,"
They didn't respond.
"I'll take that as a no-"
"LOVE,"
Kondraki stopped walking.
"Love?"
The butterflies took a moment to form the new word.
"ROMANTIC,"
"Ah shit... here we go again..."