Part 2

We managed to get to the entrance of the mines and Josh looked out at the sunlight before backing away.
I remembered something about wendigos hunting at night and the reality of the situation hit me hard. That was what Josh was... whether he was turning into one or was already one was another matter, but that meant that he'd possibly eaten a fair amount of people while he had been down there... the thought made me shudder.
"It's okay," I smiled back at him and left the mines. After a moments hesitation he did the same, but he looked uncomfortable being outside in broad daylight.
"I'm staying up at the cabin," I pointed in the direction it was and he lazily followed my gesture.
"I wish you would understand me," I looked back at him sadly but he only blinked slowly.
I tried not to think about what I was doing and pressed on, hopeful that once he was inside and in the warm he might loosen up a little.

"You must be freezing," I opened the door to the cabin and he followed me inside, "you've been in those mines all this time."
I gestured for him to sit on the couch but the way he gazed down at it, it was as though he'd never seen one before in his life.
I gave up trying and went to the fire, striking a match before lightning it, and I saw him back away out the corner of my eye. I turned to look at him, "it's okay, it's safe," I shut the door to it and the hinges creaked, "don't worry."
His uneven eyes were fixed on the flames and I stood up.
"Josh, it's okay."
He backed away further and against the wall where he crouched down. I frowned, going over to him and kneeling in front of him.
"Josh?"
He looked into my eyes and I thought I saw a flicker of something-maybe recognition-before it left again.
I reached out slowly and he eyed my hand as I took his.
"Come with me," I lead him through to the bathroom and he complied. I grabbed a flannel and put it under the tap before dabbing at the cuts on his face. I hadn't realised quite how bad his skin was until now-there was a yellowish tinge to it and there were heavy purple rings around his eyes. I felt a lump rise in my throat and couldn't stop myself welling up.
"I'm so sorry we left you here," I said against the tears, "I should have looked for you."
There was a moment of silence before he raised his hand to my face, one outstretched finger brushing against the tears that had spilled down my cheek. I held my breath and looked into his eyes. There was someone still in this body... if there wasn't, I'd probably be dead down in the mines right now.
"I'm sorry to get upset," I kept on wiping at the wounds on his face and the dried blood and grime slowly began to come off.

Once I'd finished cleaning him up he was looking a little better-better than I thought he'd look-although his skin was clearly discoloured.
"There. That's loads better," I smiled and I thought I saw his mouth twitch upwards, "was that a smile?" There was no response that time and I nodded, "didn't think so."
I left the bathroom and he followed behind as I went back to the couch. He was still unsure about the fire but when I sat down in front of it, he came and settled down too.
I faced him, "I'm going to try something," I told the vacant creature in front of me before digging my phone out of my pocket, "look at this."
I swiped through my photos from years ago when we all hung out as friends, when Hannah and Beth were still alive, and he watched intently.
"Do you remember them?" I asked, showing him a photo of Chris, Ashley, Mike and him.
"How about them?" I stopped on another picture of him, Beth and Hannah. I scanned his face for emotion but found none.
"You must remember something... this is you," I pointed at him in the photo, "and these are your sisters."
I looked back at him, "we used to all hang out together... don't you remember?"

He put his hand up and his forefinger rested on the screen. I thought he was trying to point at first, but was astounded when he swiped the photo to the right. He did it again and again until it landed on a photo of me and him. He paused for a moment before looking at me. His eyes were moving over my face like he was trying to place me.
"We used to hang out all the time," I smiled, and he blinked quickly-quicker than he'd been blinking this whole time-and his eyebrows bowed a little.
"You remember, don't you?"
He moved away from me a little and looked around the room before squeezing his eyes shut. He looked confused and distressed, but anything was better than the vacant expression he had worn since I'd found him.
"Hey, it's okay. You're with me, you're safe, Josh."
His eyes flicked open at the sound of his name and he nodded once.