6. Fate Decided

"Black, Sirius"

"Another one?"
"He'll end up in Slytherin, just like all his other snake cousins."
"What's the point?"

GRYFFINDOR

After that word, there was a heavy blanket of silence which had descended upon the hall. The silence was broken by the clicking of Gwen's camera, but still no one else made a sound. Sirius stood shakily but with a humongous smile stretched on his face, and the Gryffindor table slowly started clapping.

McGonagall took a deep breath and then read off the next few names, until;

"Evans, Lily"

People were still whispering about Sirius, even through multiple sortings. At this point in time he was the only new Gryffindor and still not exactly welcomed. The seat he'd taken was surrounded by upturned faces and darting eyes as the older Gryffindors mostly ignored him.

GRYFFINDOR

Cheers erupted from around the lone first year at the table as Lily turned and nicely placed the hat on the stool, then moved to sit opposite Sirius and ignore him as everyone else was doing, though for different reasons. Gwen continued clicking.

The professor read off a few Hufflepuffs, Ravenclaws and Slytherins before Gwen saw another person she recognized go to sit down.

"Lupin, Remus"

The whispering around Sirius had died down, but obviously not everyone in the hall was paying attention to the sorting anymore. Some people seemed to decide they had more important things to do.

GRYFFINDOR

Remus smiled shyly and left the stool, choosing to take a seat next to Sirius and proceeding to talk to both him and Lily.

Gwen continued snapping photo after photo through the next few names, and then she heard her own.

"McKinnon, Gwen"

This was the only time in her life she'd ever been before Marlene, and she smiled through it, finger clicking madly even as she made her way to the seat and Hat which would essentially decide her fate.

GRYFFINDOR

More cheering from the Gryffindor table as she replaced the Hat and sat slightly down from Lily, not talking but obviously still snapping photos.

She knew Marlene would be next.

"McKinnon, Marlene"

"Another one!" McGonagall said in surprise as Marlene walked up to the stool, scared but not showing it.
Gwen took lots of photos of her sister as she smiled slightly behind her camera.

GRYFFINDOR

They all cheered again, and Marlene sat between Lily and Gwen, immediately beginning to talk.

McGonagall read off the next name;

"Meadowes, Dorcas"

Marlene got Lily to turn to the front, where the girl her and Gwen had met on the train was sat upon the stool.

HUFFLEPUFF

The Hufflepuff table exploded in cheers as the girls at the Gryffindor table smiled kind of sadly. Despite this, Dorcas sent them a huge smile, going to sit at the table only just closer to the other end of the Hall.

The next person Gwen recognized came in the form of Peter the sweets eater, who had seemed pretty nice in the time she'd known him.

"Pettigrew, Peter"