Chapter 14

Dear Readers,

I was wondering if you thought that I should split my book up into two different books. One of my friends suggested it because it was so long. I was just wondering what you thought of the idea. Anyway, I hope you enjoy Chapter 14!

Constructive Critism is always appreciated!

RedJade2000

Hardwin jumped forward and started digging in the snow. The snow shifted and Hardwin’s heart fluttered, could she have survived?

Suddenly the elk bleated and scrambled out of the snow and staggered away. Its neck, legs and side were bleeding. Malin ordered Lawler to chase after it and the light grey wolf ran after the bleeding elk.

There was a cough and a muzzle stuck out of the snow. Hardwin jumped toward it and started digging around. Eira shot out of the snow, her eyes wide and she shivered.

“Rabbit skulled elk,” She muttered darkly. She leaned onto Hardwin and he supported her.

Malin looked around and he heard another screech. “It looks like Lawler got it. We’ll eat later.” Malin assured her. Eira growled and struggled toward the smell of blood.

“No, we can eat, I’m fine.” Eira insisted. She padded toward the elk and Hardwin made sure she leaned against him. They arrived at the elk a few moments later, Malin protesting.

“But, you’re hurt; we need to get you taken care of.” Malin objected but Eira’s eyes blazed.

“I’m not going back. Go get Bedelia and the others.” She snapped. Malin blinked and took a step back. He opened his mouth to reply but Eira’s eyes burned with fire and Malin scurried away.

Eira slumped onto the snow with a cry of surprise from Hardwin. She sighed and took a deep breath. “Thanks, Hardwin.” She murmured quietly. Hardwin shook his head.

“I should be saying thanks to you, Eira… you saved my life.” She laughed softly and shrugged.

“Everyone else would have too; it’s not that big of a deal. Besides, if I survived it then you could have too.”

“It kind of is a big deal.” Hardwin replied. Eira glared up at him. She crawled to the elk and sank her teeth into its tough hide. She ripped off a piece and ate it hungrily.

The others soon arrived and they all had their fill. Bedelia was angry enough to explode when she heard she was left out again and Malin tried to explain but Bedelia wouldn’t hear of it.

“I can’t believe you! I told you not to leave me out like that!” Bedelia snarled in frustration. “I’m not a pup, Malin; I can take care of myself. I’m older than you, for tail’s sake!” Malin’s ears flattened as he watched her eat.

“I… I just don’t want you to get hurt.” He murmured quietly and lowered his head. Yori pressed against his side and rubbed against his neck.

“She’ll understand later.” She whispered in his ear. Malin accepted the embrace and Hardwin’s ears pinned back. Bedelia was over reacting, again. 

Hardwin finished eating and licked his bloodied muzzle. His ear flicked and he sat down. The others had eaten their fill and the elk was mostly gone. As everyone sat back the crows and ravens swooped down at the elk with a screech and pecked at its flesh.

Tora looked away in disgust. She saw Hardwin looking at her and she scooted over to him. “I’ve been thinking, you know about the…” she faltered, slightly embarrassed. Hardwin blinked and his mind flashed back to his nose touching hers and her reaction. His cheeks reddened slightly.