CHAPTER 3

A quick shuffled on my side, brings me to reality as a move to make room for the elderly shoe maker. He coughs, and I notice he swallows his wet cough out of respect I think, for us not sure. He is known to be a cruel man, beating his now deceased wife until she died. A crime he should have gone to jail for but a quick handover of his only daughter to the chief ensured his freedom.

Mercy was her name, but she was no mercy now being a full-grown woman. Her ample bosoms, her well rounded hips and full lips. When she walked, she could bring every man to her knees. Her beauty was like no other, but life is a cruel, having her use her beauty to please the chief and his men. She was cheerful in the youth but upon maturity, her smile disappeared along with her innocence.

Regardless of the paid service, Mercy was no stranger to making sure she was independent, even if it went to the extent of using her body. However, upon her venture, many men lost their lives as it seemed it was the chief's way or the highway. It is then I knew power drives men crazy just like it drove our chief crazy, annihilating men who dared taste the sweet nectar Mercy offered for a price. It was dreadful story, with Mercy seeking her freedom from the chief and clearly knowing he'll execute any man who touches her. She drugged her father and mated with him in the same bed that Chief paid for her. An act done with assurity that the chief will catch her doing it.

Despite her goal, she paid the ultimate price, dying with a bullet in her. Her autopsy revealed she was with child of whom no one knew. The rumblings of the crazy chief was the baby could have been for any his men, or the ones he killed or even her father's, as he shouted with certainty that it was probably not the first time she slept with her father. Never, did he say that he thought the child could be his but deep down; he knew he could be the father; a fact that he killed his own child made him an ever-angry man. He made so many mistakes but because of his power, everyone looked the other way until he was found dead. The circumstances leading to his death were vague, but a very happy widow, arranging the altar flowers showed there was something amiss that was sworn to remain hidden. It was a shame that will all that, the culprit that began it all, was alive and breathing. Life was indeed cruel, but a very violent cough from the man beside man made me second think myself. Maybe, life was making him suffer, slowly.