Twenty-Two

"So, you have the building team on schedule," Raegan said to her father through gritted teeth. She had her hands rested on her very swollen belly, wishing the child to remain where he or she was for just a little bit longer. There was still so much to do. "And the council have been communicating effectively with the other planets? I know they had some issues before and were working on it, but has that been straightened out? I need to find out..."

"Are you okay?" Alan asked, ignoring her questions. "You look like you're in pain."

"You sound like Miguel, Dad. I'm absolutely fine. I just want all of this to be running smoothly before I go into labor. I don't want to be worried..."

She stopped walking, leaning forwards to clutch onto herself as the agony radiated hotly. Much as this wasn't the right time for anything to happen, her body wasn't listening. The baby didn't care about the 'right moment' when everything was perfect.

"You would think if this child really is the True Ruler, he or she would wait for the right time..." she spat out as her head swam in a strange and very dizzying place which she needed to come back from. "I still need to make sure the school system is..."

"Stop, don't think of these things." Alan rubbed his daughter's back, hating how helpless he was while she was in such a state. If there was anything he could've done to take this from her, he would. "You have delegated well. You have the right people in the right places. You only need to oversee, but right now you have something much more important to do."

"I..." Raegan wanted to argue, but she couldn't deny what was happening now. She needed help and she needed it now. "Get Miguel, please. I have to get to the hospital building."

Thank goodness many medically trained people had survived the nuclear blast. It was also great that so many younger people wanted to learn, to have a place in the universe that mattered. Now the human race wanted to make Earth the best place it could be, there wouldn't be any mistakes from the past, they wouldn't become complacent again.

The lessons which came from the nuclear blast had been well and truly learned.

Other children had already been born on Earth since everyone returned, so Raegan knew the staff could handle what was to come, she wasn't worried about their competency. The only person she was afraid for was herself. Not only was this giving birth, she was bringing the True Ruler into the world. There was a whole lot resting on her shoulders. It was a lot of pressure.

But she was Raegan Stevens, she could do anything. As long as she had the right people by her side. No longer did she only rely on herself, she never wanted to be alone again, and thankfully now, she didn't have to be. She had a whole universe around her...

***

Tallulah came into the world in a dramatic and noisy fashion, starting her life exactly as she meant to go on. She wouldn't go unnoticed and she knew it.

"Oh wow," Raegan laughed wearily as she finally got a look at the True Ruler...not that she could see her as that right now. Tallulah was just her beautiful little baby girl with her father's eyes, her mother's nose, a cry that was definitely going to keep them up at night... "She is perfect, isn't she, Miguel? Can you believe that we have such an awesome child?"

"She's special, isn't she?" he whispered back through thick emotion. "I can see it already. There is something shining from her. She really is going to be the True Ruler. The one to make everything better. Without the memories of the old world, she will know what to do."

Raegan stared at her daughter, starting to see what Miguel was talking about. There was something glowing from her daughter, a way to do things better, in a kinder, more empathetic way. She was already proud and all of that was years away.

"I don't know how she's going to change thing," she said through tears. "But Tallulah is going to make the universe incredible, isn't she? Even having her here in my arms like this makes me feel more confident in my own abilities to get things done. Mostly because I know I only need to get the basics in place. She will do the rest."

Miguel stood beside Raegan and they leaned against one another, supporting each other through the beginning of this brand new journey together. Who knew that the end of the world was going to eventually lead to the beginning of a brand new, much better one? Who knew that their seemingly random meeting off in some other universe would bring them to this place? Who knew that they would be the start of a brand new, wonderful world?

Perhaps the ancient texts were right after all, and everything that was written within them was going to happen. Although Raegan never wanted to know further than what she had already seen, a decision that Miguel had eventually agreed with as well.

Knowing could change everything, and not always for the better.

"Everyone is coming," Raegan suddenly declared, able to sense the onslaught of visitors that they were about to face. "My father, the angel, all sorts of people."

"Are you ready for it?" Miguel shot back instantly. "I can get rid of them if you want..."

He always put Raegan's needs first, proving his love for her with his actions every single day. He knew that no one would like it if he turned them away, but he'd take it for Raegan. Anything to make her happy. She was sure that he'd be exactly the same with their daughter too.

"No, it's okay." Raegan smiled at Miguel, while taking his hand in hers. "Everyone wants to get to know our family, don't they? So, let's show them how amazing we are..."