Chapter 1 - Chosen.

3RD POV

Sparta. A land filled with warriors and honorable men. The men of Sparta are trained from a young age of ten to be the best soldiers that fight without fear. A training field in the middle of a forest, a boy training with a man clad in black armor. All we hear is the sounds of classing steel and heaving breathing from the boy. The man in armor chuckles and says,

???: You are doing well boy, but you need to do better. You know that your time is about to come.

Boy: I know Sir. I have one year left before the gods choose a new champion. Why did you choose to train me? My sister would have been a better choice. She is stronger and faster..

???: Aye. But if I chose the one that was already strong, how could you serve Sparta?

I nod understanding his logic. I put my sword away and put my shield on my back. I walk over to him and smile,

Boy: Same time tomorrow?

???: Aye. See you tomorrow boy.

The boy runs away from the field towards his home. When the boy is gone, the man sits down on a rock and hears a familiar voice,

???: So, have you chosen your champion my son?

???: Yes father, the boy I am training will be my champion when he turns sixteen. One year to go for him, sadly he won't see his family for a long time.

???: Know this then, your sister has chosen a champion as well.

???: I see, so who is Athena's champion?

???: Her champion is the boy's sister, do not say your sister's name with such hatred Ares.

Ares: I will say her name however I want father.

???: Then know this, the fates have been sealed on these children. You and your sister's rivalry will destroy this family.

Ares: Well then Mighty Zeus, I must train the boy to be the best then. I will not split this family apart because of a rivalry, you know this because of my attachment to the boy. I would give my life, this boy is all I have left to hold on to in the mortal realm.

It is quiet for awhile then an eagle squeaks and we see Ikaros the eagle of Zeus. Ares smirks and stands up, he walks to the edge of the cliff he trains on with the boy.

Ares: Good luck, for I fear that Zeus is planning something diabolical. But I will protect you, Leonid.

Leonid POV

I just got home. I don't understand why he insists on training on that mountain. I smile and head inside, I see my sister smiling at me.

Leonid: Hello Alex, what has you in such a good mood?

Alex: Leonid! The gods chose champions today for my group! I was chosen by the Goddess of Wisdom and Strategic Warfare!

Leonid: Ah Athene. I am happy for your sister! I hope that you lead a happy life as her champion. I wonder who mine wi-

Alex: I'm not done yet! There is a rumor going around that Ares The God of War hasn't chosen a champion yet. The gods say that he has chosen someone outside of my age group and wishes not to share until the person is old enough to be chosen!

Leonid: That is interesting Sister. Do you think it could be me?

She chuckles a little and ruffles my hair,

Alex: Leonid, you are too weak to be a champion. You wouldn't survive out there with the gods.

I look at her and brush her hand away from my head,

Leonid: I am stronger than I look, Alex.

I walk away from her and to my room. I put my sword on the wall and look at it. This is the sword that was gifted to me by our Pater before he disappeared years ago. He told us he was going to fight for our safety so Sparta remains a safe place for us to live. We assume that he succeeded because we haven't left Sparta, Mater tried to hide it but we both figured it out. He died in battle alongside fellow Spartans. I hope to one day be a warrior like he was. I hear a knock on my door and I stand up. I walk to the door and open it, Mater is standing there looking at me with tears in her eyes.

Leonid: Mater? What is wrong?

Mater: Your sister Alex, Athene came and said that she has to go with her to be trained in the ways of a champion. Leonid, I know your time is coming soon. I can feel it, the dates and against our family because of your Pater.

I sigh, Mater didn't like that Pater left us as children to fight in the war. But it was what he had to do.

Leonid: Mater...it is what we all agree to when the champions are chosen. It is how the process goes.

I pull her into a hug and she sobs into my shirt. I stand there for about ten minutes, then I hear light snoring. I smirk and carry Mater to bed, I tuck her in and walk into the backyard. I walk over to the edge of our backyard. I sit down and look into the sky,

Leonid: Mighty Zeus, protect my sister from harm. For I am not ready to lose another family member.

The sky trembles and lightning strikes the ground in front of me. I jump back a little and see a man standing there, he looks at me and I can see his sparkling blue eyes.

Zeus: Hello Child, I am here to tell you that one of the gods have claimed you.

I look at him confused,

Leonid: Zeus, what do you mean my lord? I am a year too young to be chosen by the gods.

I hear the sounds of a serpent and see my teacher walking forwards from the shadows. I look at him closely inspecting his new armor he wearsHis armor black as the night, a red cape flowing in the wind, and a long Plume stretching down to his lower back. He raises his head and I see two red orbs, both of them pure with hatred and rage. I see no face but I see his arms and legs. They are a brownish-red, Auburn if i'm correct.

Leonid: Sir, Who are you really? You are not just a mere combat instructor.

He looks at me and removes his helmet, I get a good look at his face and see that he is built stronger than any man I have ever seen in the Spartan army. His eyes were blood red, not the same as when we trained. He looks me in the eyes and says to me,

Ares: I am Ares...The God Of War. I have chosen you to be my champion. There is a battle coming that Sparta and Athens is not prepared for.

I look at him confused, I am too young I thought.

Leonid: Then why come now? I cannot be claimed as a champion until I am sixteen. These are the rules you put in place Lord Zeus.

He smirks, then begins to chuckle. He taps his staff and the sky rumbles and he looks at me.

Zeus: BY MY DECREE I DEEM LEONID CHAMPION OF ARES, THE GOD OF WAR!

I suddenly feel my shoulder begin to burn. I stand up and rip my shirt off my body, I look into a mirror and see that the outline of a spartan helmet has been burned into my shoulder. I look at Ares and see he is smirking, I stand at full height and walk over to him. I punch him in the chest and he falls over,

Leonid: You said be ready for anything. You should take your own advice, Lord Ares.

He rises from the dirt and has a huge grin on his face.

Ares: You are a quick learner Leonid. I will come tomorrow and claim you from your house, tell your Mater. She worries about you both.

I nod and they disappear in a flash of lightning. I smirk and go to my room, I lay down and let the candle go out, tomorrow will be interesting.