Chapter 8: Let the Games Begin

Let the Games begin.

Clove's POV

The sun, I just want to lie here, and absorb the sun. And not move. But that would get me killed. I look around me, the Cornucopia has assorted goods all spread out around it. The best things are in the middle. While looking around I find something that catches my eye, a pair of knives, propped up against a blue backpack, my favorite color, with knives, it seems to be made for me.

Looking around, my gaze is fixed on Katniss; her eyes are trained on a silver bow. I've already guessed that Katniss's hidden skill is the bow, I mean she avoided it all training and wasn't extraordinary at anything, this almost confirms it. Once my gaze is detached from Katniss, I see that we are on a flat, open stretch of land, a plain of hard packed dirt. Behind me, I see that there is a field of grain and grasses; it seems to go on forever.

In front of me, and beind the Tributes across from me, there are sparse piney woods, many of the Tributes will go there and hide, I think. To my left lies a lake-

Twenty....

We are required to stand on our metal circles for sixty seconds before the sound of the gong releases us. If you step off even one second before the gong, boom, a landmine blows you up. After this, that's were 3 comes in, he will rewire the landmines for us around all out supplies.

10... Cato, I can see is preparing himself to run.

9.... Marvel has his eyes on a silver spear in the middle of the area.

8.... Glimmer is staring at Cato, I hate that girl.

7... Peeta is watching Katniss.

6.... Rue is looking at a backpack that stands a foot in front of her circle.

5... The boy from 3 sees me looking at him and winks, ew dude, I have a boyfriend.

4... I am staring at the pair of knives in front of me.

3... Katniss looks up at Peeta; he shakes his head at her.

3... Katniss looks puzzled, she's trying to figure out what Peeta meant.

2.... I prepare myself to dash to the knives.

1...

All hell breaks loose.

I run straight to the knives, ducking the boy from 5. Somehow he already got his hands on an ax, and more surprisingly, he's able to swing it. After I duck his first blow, he swings at me again, this time in the side. I cry out in pain, only a few more feet until I reach the knives. I stand up and run, the ax lands in the dirt behind me and the boy struggles to pull it out of the ground. I can feel my wound from here. Luckily I was able to dodge the brunt of the hit and the cut isn't too deep; I'll live.

I grab the backpack and knives. Picking the first knife up, I throw it and it hits the boy in the throat, he falls over, coughing up blood. I run forward, leaning down to grab the boy's ax and my knife in one swoop of my arm. I see the boy from 3 having a struggle with the girl from 7, throwing my ax, and it lands in the girls back, causing her to fall backwards, dead. 3 smiles gratefully at me, though the horror is evident on his face.

I turn around- and then go flying a few feet backwards; the girl from 3 has just smacked me with a baton. I roll my eyes in irritation, just because I'm smaller than most people here doesn't mean that I'm not lethal! Throwing my dagger, it hits home, aka in the heart. I take a quick look around, Glimmer is aggressively stabbing the girl from 6 to death, whoa, calm down girl.

Cato has just killed the girl from 9; it looks like he broke her neck by swinging his baton and whacking her in the chin. She falls to the ground, dead. Marvel is yanking his spear from the dead body of the boy from 7. Meanwhile, Katniss is having a struggle with the boy from 9 for an orange backpack. I throw knife one, it lands in 9's back, causing him to cough up blood into Katniss's face. Bleh. I throw knife two, but Katniss is smart and raises her backpack up so the knife lands in that instead of sinking into her back. I run after her for a bit, but realizing I don't have a weapon and she does, doesn't help my want to chase after her.