Chapter Two

The drive to the show wasn't an overly long one, but I had begun to fidget by the time we got there, probably because of my hunger. Between all of the dreadful music Archie and Elliot were picking out, I couldn't help but complain.

"When can we get something to eat?" I complained.

"Do you ever stop going on?" Chloe replied.

"Will you ever give me a straight answer?" I shot back.

"Elliot and I have brought the barbecue along so we can all have bacon sandwiches when we get there," Elizabeth said before Chloe could answer with one of her snarky remarks.

I nodded and leant against the window, staring out at the English countryside.

We reached the showgrounds around an hour and a half after we'd left. The sun was already high in the light blue sky when we pulled up under a large oak, taking advantage of the shade that was to protect us from the sun that was supposed to blaze down on us that day. It was the beginning of the English summer, so although the days were getting longer and hotter, they were cool enough for us to stay in tight jodhpurs and tweed jackets all day.

Chloe parked up and we all went about our various tasks. We convinced the boys to help us get all of the tack and grooming stuff out before they set up their little travel chairs, flopping down into them as if they hadn't rested in days. We let Elizabeth tie all of the dogs up on long leadropes and let them explore their surroundings while Chloe and I got the horses out. The young colts were both very excited to be somewhere new and were being very silly.

"Are you sure they'll be able to show?" I asked, tying the younger of the two up.

"Too late to pull out now," she replied," Besides, whatever happens, it will be a learning curve for them. Whether they're silly or not, they'll learn from it."

I nodded in partial agreement, before we got the fillies out. While she began taking their tail guards and travel boots off, I got Ava out. Thankfully for me, she was very content travelling and let me lead her out without any fuss. I tied her up next to one of the fillies and started getting her ready. By the time I had undressed her, taken out her plaits and brushed her mane through, Elizabeth had finally finished with breakfast. We all sat down in our chairs and ate our fill. Of course, Chloe finished first and got up, heading towards the main showground.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"To get a programme, I want to see who we're up against," came the reply as she walked off with Ranger," I'll get our numbers while I'm there."

I was tempted to go with her to scope out the rings and see who else was here, but I wanted to make sure that Ava looked perfect for our event. Once I'd finished my food, I got up to give her another brush and gave her hooves a layer of hoof oil. Once I'd finished, I could hear Chloe's voice from the other side of the lorry. I walked back around to join her as she studied the programme.

"Anyone in there you know?" I asked.

"A few," came the reply as she scanned the booklet. "Oh, Mum, look who's here!"

"Who?"

"Alissa Doyle!"

"Who's that?" I asked.

"Just some cow I used to know in primary school," she said simply," Used to ride the horses with her until she became 'too cool', you know? Started hanging out with all the popular kids at school, until I left. I didn't realise she still rode."

"I don't think she does, the horses are just under her name," Elizabeth said.

"How do you know?" I asked.