Chapter Fourteen

"You are joking," I said," Tell me you're joking."

"I wish I was," she replied," Jack said one of his collegues came to the valid conclusion, supposedly, and they're on their way to arrest him right now."

"So why did Jack come here?" I asked.

"Because he doesn't think that he did it," she replied," Neither do I. I mean, you met him, he's a really sweet guy and a good business man, but he's not capable of doing something like this."

"Does Anouk know?" I asked.

"Yes, she was told by the chief of police, and told Jack as soon as she found out," she answered.

"Why would she tell Jack, she said when we met her she didn't really know him," she said.

"He knows Louie, they're good friends, what do you think he was doing at the wedding?" she replied," He was the first one she trusted to tell."

"What are they going to do?" I asked.

"He didn't give me all the details, but he asked if he could bring Anouk back here later and explain properly," she said.

I sighed and said," When are they coming?"

"This afternoon," came the reply, before she let out a deep sigh and a sarcastic chuckle," Seems like everything is going downhill."

I nodded, not really knowing what to do or say in that moment, feeling all sorts of emotions but not knowing how to express them.

****

I walked outside towards the barn, feeling tired and irritated. Jack was coming later with Anouk, but I really wasn't interested in speaking with them. It frightened me, as I was beginning to feel the same way as I did when I first arrived here all those years ago: depressed, anxious and so lost. Not even the horses were making me feel better as I tacked Buck up and took him outside to the school. As I walked out, I saw Chloe come out with Guinness, walking towards the school. To my absolute shock, he was wearing an old saddle and bridle, walking along next to her like a little lamb.

"How on earth?" I said as she approached.

"I didn't think it was possible either," she said, beaming from ear to ear.

"How long did that take you?" I asked.

"He resisted at first, but then I spoke to him, told him a story, and he let me put it on him," she said, looking very proud with herself.

"What did you tell him?" I asked.

"That information is for Guinness and I only to know," she answered, tapping her nose.

I rolled my eyes.

"Would you be alright to let me use to school today?" she asked.

I nodded, thinking I would take Buck through the woods, but as Chloe closed the gate of the school  behind her, I couldn't help but stay and watch. I let Buck eat the grass next to me while I leant on the tall fence. I could see Guinness looking around at his surroundings, those intelligent eyes scanning everything in sight. I watched as Chloe walked him around the school for a little while, letting him get used to the feeling of the saddle on his back and the bit in his mouth. From the way he was handling it, I could tell that he had done this before.

"Are you going to try and get on?" I asked from the sidelines.

"I think so," came the reply.