Chapter 1

-right before David shoots-

Tris's POV

Suddenly I realize it's over. But I don't want to die. I have to many reasons to live.

Something starts slamming the door. It's either someone trying to kill me, or someone trying to save me.

As the door screeches open I see Caleb.

He has a gun.

I remember earlier today, he can't shoot. He rushes in and hands me the gun.

"I love you" he whispers. Thankfully this doesn't feel like the gun I shot back in Chicago. My finger slips over the trigger. I hit David in the arm.

I leave seeking cover when I hear more cries of pain. Caleb. I know I should go back but I want to live. If I go back I will get killed on the spot.

Tears stream down my face as I sprint through a misty haze. I could stop. I could die right here.

"Tobias is counting on me" I think. If I get out now I will be okay. I will be ok.

I'm almost there. I see an outline of a young woman a few yards ahead. Cara. A whirl of sadness hits me like the wind, unable, and unwilling to stand back up.

She run towards me and I gasp for air.

__________________________________*__*__*__*_______________________________

Tobias's POV

I walk into Marcus's house to see Evelyn trembling at the kitchen table her face is red and wet from tears.

To startled to ask what happened I tap the vial in my pocket.

I wanted to give it to Marcus, so he could never hurt anyone else like he did me.

Evelyn is controlling our city, maybe I should give it to her.

I walk into my old room to see shattered glass and shards of my childhood crushed and ripped to bits.

Who did this?

-back in the kitchen -
"Evelyn?" I mutter into the silence of the kitchen . "I'm sorry" she seems scared as the words just barely escape her mouth.

"H-he's.." Her voice trails off. "He's gone."

She seems to understand the unfathomable expression on my face.

"He went to candor head quarters. He is on trial. But you and I both know he will be found guilty."

"Of what"

"Child abuse"

I hop into the truck and begin my ride The Merciless Mart.