Chapter 22

My eyes fluttered as blurry light sting them.
I sat up straight and rubbed them. Yawning and stretching, I glanced at my surroundings. I was in my room, and it was so quiet.
I kicked of my sheets and let my legs dangle off the side of my bed.
Dad opened the door and walked in with a hot chocolate. "Are you feeling okay?" He asked, smiling. "Yeah I guess, what happened, wasn't I at the SPCA?"
"Well yes but you fainted."
Then Survivors death struck me like a gun shot. I cried out before doubling over in huge heaving sobs. "Here drink this." Dad pushed the hot chocolate into my hands. I nodded and sipped. "It's good thanks." I sniffed, wiping my eyelids which only cried more.
I heard gentle knocking on the front door. "I'll get it." Dad shrugged.
As soon as he was out of the door I slammed it shut and slid the lock closed. Collapsing again on my bed, I allowed myself to drown in my sorrows.
A couple of minutes later dad was knocking on the door again. "Elley it's Mary, she would like to talk to you!" Dad tried to open the door but found it locked. "Oh Elisabeth! Open the door!"
"NO! Just leave me alone!" 😭
"Elisabeth, it's alright, I'll just wait out here until your ready." I grumbled in annoyance and unlocked the door. To my surprise, Mary immediately squeezed me in a tight hug. My tears soaked her shirt as I cried into her shoulder. I cried for a good twenty minutes before she realised me and demanded that I hold back my tears. She closed the door and sat me on her bed.
"Now I want you to think very serious about what I am about to tell you okay?" She asked, although it sounded more like an order. I nodded. "I have a rising two year-old Kaimanawa that I want you to train." I glared at her and shook my head in protest. "No more Kaimanawas for me thanks!" I smiled sarcastically and trotted out of the room.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I stroked Madalians cheek.
I gritted my teeth. "She thinks she can just waltz in and hand me another Kaimanawa after Survivors death? Pfft, she's got something else commin'!"
"Yes I do think I can waltz in and hand you a Kaimanawa." Mary stood in the door way of the wooden stable. "The filly may be a Kaimanawa but she's no different to any of my other horses! I'll give you time to think about."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Elisabeth it's time to go!"
I groaned. "Okay but this is my last day! I'm never going back! Alright!"
"Oh you will be!" Mum chuckled, I looked her up and down warily. Climbing into the car, I watched the trees flash by and just as quickly as we had left, mum was dropping me off at work. Hold on, she drove me to work? It had never accrued to me before, but I always drove my own car to work! A simple silver Volvo that was given to me (although I payed half) for my 18th birthday.

As I enter the stables Rebecca came over to me and talked me through today's schedule.
"So we've decided to take six of the Kaimanawas to the beach up the road. Four of them are there already there, so come on! Let's get the other two loaded!"
I fought back tears as she said Kaimanawas but my eyes still went red. "Lucy help her load the horses thanks!" Lucy came over beaming. "I've never taken horses to the beach before! Have you?"
"Lots," I smiled weakly.
"Argh luckieeee! Anyways, you're getting Bullet and I'll get Pheonix!" I nodded and we walked in silence to the tack room. I unhooked his white halter and lead rope and went to catch him from the paddock. The black 13hh pony plodded towards me eagerly. Bullet may be small but he can he speedy and feisty when he wants to be. Rebecca already had the horse float ready and after the Bullet and Pheonix, a 14hh pure chestnut, were loaded we climbed in the back of Rebecca's dun coloured ute.

~*~*~*~*~

When we arrived at the beach, my eyes avoided it.
But what they couldn't avoid was mum.
"Mum what are you doing here with the SPCA!?"
She just simply smiled and pointed out to the water. Six Kaimanawas splashed in the shallows but what really caught my eye, was one Kaimanawa that was rolling in the water. The sun dipped behind him, making his coat shine golden. His grey ears flicked towards me as he jumped up on wobbly legs. No it can't be!
It was.
Survivor nickered and strolled towards me. His sides heaving and sweating with effort. He was slightly unbalanced but he looked determined to reach me. I ran towards him and wrapped my arms around his soaked neck. Survivor pushed his chin into me and I knew he was hugging me back.