10

The next morning everything hit Sarah like a ton of bricks. Today was the day she was going to be sitting at a table alone with one of the most handsome men she had ever seen. A familiar feeling of dread washed over her and she snatched her phone up immediately. It only rang twice before she got an answer, "What's wrong girl? It's Saturday," the sound of irritation that Tiffany gave for any early morning calls on a weekend. "Hey, sorry, I just need your help with something," Sarah told her. Tiffany's voice perked up, "Sure! Anything," she responded. "I need help with what to wear tonight for my dinner with Mr. Blake," Sarah confided. "Ooh! Shopping!" Tiffany yelled on the other side of the phone. Sarah had to pull her cell phone away from her ear to escape the screech that was coming for the other end. She knew how much Tiffany loved to go shopping, but she also knew how much she hated shopping. "Yes Tiff, shopping," Sarah replied. "Don't sound so excited Sarah," Tiffany said sarcastically, "I'm already dressed and walking out my door girlfriend," Tiffany said with a laugh. Sarah laughed too, "Okay, I will see you soon."

Sarah had just moments to get ready, so she decided on a simple turtleneck, jeans, and sandals. The San Francisco weather was especially forgiving today so she didn't need to bundle up too much. She was already downstairs grabbing her purse when there was a knock on the door. She opened it and saw the smiling face of her best friend. "How did you get here so fast?" Sarah wondered. "Magic," Tiffany said with a smirk. Sarah partially began to regret asking for Tiffany's help, her enthusiasm for shopping was not shared. On the other hand, she was grateful that she had someone who would help her in a time like this. "If you say so," she said. "We will not have that negative attitude missy, we are going to find you the perfect outfit for this dinner and you will knock this client on his ass," Tiffany replied. Sarah chuckled, "Okay, okay let's go."

Getting a cab at that time was a different story. Saturday afternoon in San Francisco, the streets were packed with cars going in and out of the city. "You know, I love this place and I hate this place when it comes to travel," Tiffany frowned as she couldn't get one cab driver to stop on Sarah's street. After what felt like ages, they were able to hail a cab. Sarah and Tiffany squeezed into the backseat together, "Westfield Center, please" Tiffany said excitedly. Sarah did not share her same sentiments about shopping and the occasion she was shopping for. She had always been one to get lost in her thoughts and as the cab crawled through the city for the 7 blocks they had to take to get to the mall, Sarah started thinking about what would happen tonight. Would it be as simple as just dinner and discussing business? Or would he be the type to boast about his accomplishments and make her feel like a piece in a gameboard to further himself in the field? She didn't get that vibe from Mr. Blake, but it was a completely rational thought. She wasn't sure what kind of man he was. She couldn't tell from the brief encounters she had previously had with him. He seemed like a normal businessman who just took their work, their company, their appearance very seriously. There's nothing wrong with that, honestly, it made Sarah even more curious about him.

"Earth to Sarah!" Tiffany said interrupting her anxious thoughts. "Yeah?" she said back unenthusiastically. "Look, I know you're not into this at all, but we're hanging out and I miss you! So, let's make the most of this okay?" Tiffany said as they pulled in front of the mall. Sarah nodded in agreement and felt a twinge of guilt. She was being distant, and they didn't get to hang out a lot with all the work that she had been taking on lately. Even though she didn't like going out to the most crowded mall she had ever seen in her life, hanging out with Tiffany made it all better. They got out of the cab and paid the driver their fare. As they entered the crowded shopping center Tiffany grabbed Sarah's arm and dragged her into store after store. Sarah tried on everything that Tiffany threw at her; dresses, shirts, skirts, pants, anything that she thought would look good. Sarah was a good sport, she dealt with the hustle and bustle of not only the stores they entered but also Tiffany's frantic way of going through the clothes. Sarah went into dressing rooms about a dozen times before she stepped out and wowed Tiffany in the outfit that was chosen for her. "Damn girlfriend, you look gorgeous!" Tiffany squealed with excitement. Sarah blushed; people were staring at her standing in the doorway of the dressing room she occupied. She looked down and then looked at herself in the mirror. Sarah cocked her head to one side and studied the outfit on her body. Tiffany had done a really good job picking things out that complimented Sarah's body frame but also considered the type of clothes that Sarah liked to wear out. Tiffany chose her a black spaghetti strap cropped tank which accentuated her round breasts and paired it with a high-waisted white pencil skirt that hugged her in all the right places. Sarah had to admit, this outfit was killer. It was a perfect mix of sexy and still professional. "I actually love this Tiff," Sarah said shyly. "I knew you would! Am I amazing or what?" Tiffany replied with a cocky smirk on her face. Sarah laughed in agreement; she was so glad that she asked Tiffany for help because there was no way she could have found something like this on her own. "So, shoes?" Tiffany asked. She already had the perfect shoes at home so she wouldn't need to get more. "I have some at home, the black heels with one strap around the ankle and over the toes," she explained. "Ooh, those will be perfect!" Tiffany exclaimed. Sarah went back into the dressing room to change back into the clothes she was wearing earlier so that she could go up to the register to pay.

Sarah got home from the mall and dropped her shopping bags at the door. She had no idea what was in store for tonight and that scared her. The unknown had always scared her and the fact that she had no control over this plan was like being on pins and needles constantly. "I could always cancel, say I'm sick..." she thought to herself. The idea was tempting, it would get her off the hook for having to be around this man that she obviously lusted over, but that could send the wrong message. She wanted to present herself in a professional manner and given that she finally got the chance to lead a project she needed to do this. Glancing at the clock on the wall as she slumped onto her couch, she realized that there was a lot of time before she had to be ready to go. Sarah took a breath and closed her eyes, trying to steady herself for the night ahead. "Let's just get this over with," she thought as she pushed herself up off the couch.

After distracting herself with anything she could think of, she finally went to get ready. The outfit that Tiffany had so expertly picked out for her lay on her bed. Sarah stared, judging herself and what Mr. Blake would think of her in this. She didn't want to come off unprofessional in her appearance, but she wasn't trying to be a nun either. After pushing the thought from her mind, she went to shower.

Sarah had been pacing her kitchen for the past 15 minutes. The knock on her door brought her out of her anxious thoughts, "Pull yourself together girl. Go wow the man on how hard you work, and this will all be over soon," she reminded herself. It was 7 PM exactly and there was the gorgeous Christopher Blake at her front door. "Good Evening Sarah," he said. His voice wrapped around her and warmed her from the inside out. "Hi," she squeaked out. He outstretched his hand out towards the black town car that waited at the curb, "Shall we?" Sarah picked up her purse and briefcase, locked the front door and proceeded to make her way to the car.