Chances

Note from the author:

Italics are flashbacks. Enjoy!!

It couldn't be true. It wasn't allowed to be true.

"Thanks for coming with me V."

This had to be a dream.

"No problem B, anything for my best bestie."

She was sat on the white bed, staring at the wall in shock.

"Betty Jones?"

Everything she and Jughead worked for, every time that they had tried.... It was all for nothing.

"Yes, that's me."

As she stepped through the front door of her small apartment in New York, she struggled to keep the tears at bay. She walked to her bathroom, stripped herself of her clothing and stepped into a relaxing shower. The water coming out of her eyes mixed with the water that fell down from the shower head.

"Your results are back."

Realization hit her like a rock. She couldn't have children. She was broken. Her body didn't work. Everything her and Jughead had been planning for the past two years had had no point.

"I'm sorry."

Jughead. How was she meant to tell him. Would he still want to be with her, if she was so fractured? So broken beyond repair? A knock on the door brought her out of her daydream.

"You are infertile. You cannot naturally conceive children."

"Betty, I'm home." Jughead said through the door. "Are you okay?" He asked her when he didn't get a response.

"Oh my god."

"I'm fine," She lied as she dried herself off and put on one of his shirts. "Just tired."

"Betty...I'm so sorry."

"Okay," He said. "I love you." The three words made Betty's heart ache. Would he still love her after she told him the news?

"There are other options if you're interested."

She came downstairs and sat next to him on the couch, cuddling up to him under the blanket. "I went to the hospital today." She whispered to him. His world stopped.

"You could adopt, have an in vitro fertilization."

"What? Why? Are you okay? Are you hurt?" he bombarded her with questions causing the tears in her eyes to build up. 

"Talk it over with your husband and see what you decide."

"Jug, I'm so sorry. I can't have children. I'm sorry, I'm sorry I can't give them to you." A tear trailed down her cheek as she looked at him, pondering what his reaction was going to be.

"Come on B, I'll bring you home."

But he was silent. Then he spoke up. "It isn't your fault." He wiped away his tears. In the 6 years that they had been together, she had never seen him cry. 

"I don't know if I can tell him."

"It'll be okay. I know nothing else might be, but we will. We can still have children, we can find a different way, alright. Do you believe that? Do you believe me?"

"You have to. You'll make it through this, I promise you. I love you B."

"I do."

"I love you too V."