Chapter Five

I walk into my office the next day. Phil is already behind the reception desk, his eyes pinning me to the spot by the front door. "What?"

"Is everything okay?" he asks.

"Why would it not be?" I counter.

"What did the detective want?"

"He wanted some information on the science behind memories."

"Why?" he narrows his eyes in suspicion. He has nothing to be worried about - he isn't the serial killer. My heart skips a beat at the thought that he knows my secret and is concerned for me. I ignore the feeling though. There's no way he would even humour the idea, let alone actually know it.

"Because unlike us, who graduated with the knowledge, some people don't have the basics to understand what we do," I dismiss. Phil looks hurt and I force myself to add, "Charles asked me to be a consultant on a case that he is currently working on."

"Charles did?" I try to hide the smile that is tugging at the corner of my lips. Of course he's jealous. "When did Detective Maison become Charles?"

"When I came onto the case," I stretch the truth. I don't need to make him upset over this. "Believe it or not, professionals do have first names. And don't sound surprised, Phil. I am an expert at this."

"That's not the part that I'm surprised about," he grumbles. "I'm just concerned..."

"About? It won't affect my business. I'm only a consultant." He seems skeptical with my explanation but he doesn't push it. I know he really doesn't like the idea of me spending more time around another man, but he can't say that to his boss.

When Phil concedes and allows me to leave his interrogation, I enter my office and shrug off my coat. Before I even boot up my computer, Phil's voice comes in through the intercom system, "Dr. Clowd, Detective Maison is on the line for you."

I don't even try to hide my smile at the pettiness of Phil. He would be a great help to me whenever the time came. Feelings were so easy to manipulate.

I pick up my phone and greet, "Dr. Clowd."

"Ray," the detective greets, his tone seemingly relieved as if he didn't think I would take his call. "This is Charles."

"Good morning, Charles," I force myself to drop my professional tone. "What can I do for you?"

"I was wondering if perhaps you had some time over lunch to meet up? I have some technical questions that I would like to ask you," he adds in an attempt to keep it professional. I smile to myself at how easy this all is.

Instead of saying that he could just ask me them over the phone, I say, "Of course. Does 2pm work? I know that's a bit late but I have a full morning."

"Of course!" I can hear the smile in his voice.

"I'll bring Phil - he will probably be able to answer some of the more technical questions."

"Good idea," I can practically see him deflate at the idea. He gives me the address of the place he wants to meet and hangs up the phone. Before I have placed mine back into the receiver, Phil is at the door.

"Lunch date?" he tries to sound friendly but fails. I pretend to not notice.

"Yes, Detective Maison has some more questions for us." Phil looks questioningly at my response and I explain, "the theory and science are my forte. Technical is all you. So yes, we have a lunch date."

Phil's face heats slightly at my words. It's kind of cute. I don't want him there, but I need to know what he tells Charles and I can't do that if he's questioned without my presence. Finally, he composes himself and says, "first patient is here. Want me to send him in?"