Chapter Eighteen

I sit silently in the passenger seat as Phil navigates his way through commuter traffic. It's only a matter of time before my second interrogation begins, but this time with an unstable stalker. Not the position that I would want to be in, so I refuse to start defending my choices to him until he starts asking about them. 

"How much trouble are we in?" I hate to admit that I wasn't expecting this question first. It isn't petty and thick with jealousy like I predicted. He didn't ask how I knew about the cops finding Madison, or how I got to the crime scene without my own car.

"It's under control," I reply. It's the truth, isn't it? Sure,I'm a suspect but I have played Charles against himself and he will be crawling back to me, apologies oozing out of him for me to forgive. Right? 

"That doesn't answer my question," he counters. His attitude irks me. How dare he assume that I have to tell him anything. He adds, "I have just as much at stake now as you. I am a full blown accomplice to murder." 

"As opposed to just aiding a murderer? Obstructing justice? Nothing has changed." 

"What needs to be under control then?" 

"I let it slip that the victim was a female before he knew. It's dealt with." 

"Apparently not, since I have to come pick you up and you won't let him drive you to the office." So he's aware I spend the night with Charles frequently - he knows our morning routine. I shouldn't be surprised. 

"He was suspicious, but I turned the tables so he feels like shit for thinking it. He'll be back to being blind soon." I hope he buys my fake confidence - I'm not sure of anything anymore.

"Okay." We continue to sit in silence and I feel my control further slipping through the cracks. Not only with Charles, but also with Phil. He doesn't need to know the specifics of how the investigation is going though - it's all falling into place. 

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you I was spending the night with him..." 

"Rayne, I'm not your babysitter. You have made it clear where your priorities are." He doesn't elaborate that they are with him, which makes me worry he knows my plan. To clear any doubts that he may have, I reach over and grab his hand. When he squeezes back reassuringly, I feel like I can finally breathe. 

*** 

It's been over a week since I have heard from Charles. I'm not panicking. 

Yet. 

From all that I know of him, I shouldn't expect to hear from him for a few more days at least. Not only has he not been in a serious relationship before, he is socially awkward. He will have no idea what to say to me other than to discuss the case. Until we get the toxicology back on Madison, there is nothing to discuss. 

I looked it up online as soon as Phil dropped me off at my house to get cleaned up and prepared for work. He didn't wait for me, which was fine by me. It gave me the privacy to look into how long it takes to test someone's blood and hair for alcohol and drug impairment. 

The blood test would take ten days at least. As long as it is a priority case anyways and there is no waiting period in the lab. I doubt that there wouldn't be a rush on this case though considering the pressure that has been exerted on Charles to find the killer. A duo serial killer team should definitely make the top of the list. 

That just means that there are at least 72 hours to wait until he calls me regarding the results. It's not like there's any other evidence that he needs to call me about - or another body to find to examine.